back fire !!!

Moderator: Moderators

tomzxr400
My Bike: tomos moped

back fire !!!

Post by tomzxr400 »

hi all took the bike out for a long ride and managed to go through a full tank and all was ok then filled up again not long after doing so i was going hard down some country lanes showing my mate on his vfr400 what a real 400 is
when i reached red line the bike stalled backfired then threw a flame out the back . got it started agin and it did the same thing but instead of pulling over i wound the throttle back and it went crazy bangs and flames everwhere !!! bike runs fine till i hit redline any ideas???
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: back fire !!!

Post by masterofinsanity »

could be coils /leads or plugs breaking down under the pressure mate?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

erm, if your bouncing off the redline id expect it to do that to be honest. when it reaches the limiter its cuts the engine, but its still sucking fuel as the engine is still spinning, then when the ignition cuts back in it ignites the fuel thats been sucked in and it backfires.
tomzxr400

Post by tomzxr400 »

RobB wrote:erm, if your bouncing off the redline id expect it to do that to be honest. when it reaches the limiter its cuts the engine, but its still sucking fuel as the engine is still spinning, then when the ignition cuts back in it ignites the fuel thats been sucked in and it backfires.
never had this problem before. didnt know there was a limiter never hit it any way.
ive been told a few things now 1 guy said he had this once so he drained his tank and refilled it with new and it ran ok,
another said electrics or incorrect set up on carbs so guess its elimination i will check the electrics and drain the tank and see if its ok if not al get it on a dyno al let you all know either way thanks
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Theres a limiter on most if not all engines, because after that engine speed there is no useful power. They would also rev till they destroyed themselves otherwise.

It could well be your fuel, i had some running problems on another bike which turned out to be dirt in the fuel. Did you run the bike on reserve at all?
tomzxr400

Post by tomzxr400 »

no didnt run it that time on res but have done in the past and its been ok also ive cleaned the inside of the tank not long ago when i stripped it down will do it again though if it continues to do so after a new lot of fuel goes in
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

I dont think its supposed to backfire when you hit red line mine doesnt. so in the time it red lines the fuel still pours in an then ignites causing the bbq of the guy behind
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

half way accross belgium, and i had just pulled in to get petrol. I apparently had managed to flick the kill switch to half way between on and off. End result, it ran OK at idle but at any revs it was back firing like a mad thing.

The rev limiter is there to protect the engine, you are past any useful torque and power at that point and should have changed up!

if its not happening anywhere else in the rev range, i suggest changing up a bit earlier :P

sorry - not the answer you were after I know!
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Plus dont constant red lining ruin your engine i imagine it does.
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

on english roads/motorways you'll never get to sit on the read line for long as some plonker will be in the way
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
tomzxr400

Post by tomzxr400 »

i dont red line it as in have it run outa revs and bounce just to the top end of the power curve maybe redline is bad choice of words how bout high rev range instead!!!
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

what RPM?
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

I think i get what you mean, when you ride hard an forget to change up intime so you bounce of the limiter (this is worse for your engine if you keep doin it) iv had afew mates blow cars up by doin this.

well anyway to avoid this like caz said change gear lol an it still shouldnt back fire. too much fuel is going through an then igniting i get it if i leave the bike more than a day standing with the fuel turned on an try to start.
tomzxr400

Post by tomzxr400 »

sorted it now ive bin a right daft git and lucky at the same time i changed the cam chain and tentioner a couple of weeks ago and must not have tightened the bolt on the crank tight enough it rattled loose and then at high revs the pick up coil was getting the wrong readings so out came 2 ft flames by the way it was only a figure of speach it happened around the 12 to 13k mark