Starting problems - Electrical

Moderator: Moderators

rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Re: Starting problems - Electrical

Post by rene »

im not sure were the attualy weekness is, i've always thought it must be the pin you slide over, flex in the chain (side ways flex) then giving it a fist full would proably ping it off quite easly
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

So the danger lies in loosing the spring clip rather than a problem with the metal the thing is made of.

I keep to strict limits with road bike how many times I will use the same spring clip, this one has been, put on, taken off, and put on so far. A quick look when you clip it back in to check that the spring snaps in nicely is all good. I've got mine fitted the correct direction, closed end with drive, and its also fitted on the inside of the chain to keep it looking nice and also keeps it away from the bolts for the hugger and chain guard.

Really a rivet link is exactly the same as a split except without the spring. So if the spring is replaced when necessary there shouldn't be a problem, other than with side ways flex, which is made worse by incorrect chain tension.
Andy
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

yeah i agree its to do with the clip, if you have 190bhp going though your chain its going to strech it each time so sooner or later id expect it to fail. the safer option is just to get a riviter
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

its also down to which way the clip is facing. you have to have it facing the right way or it can come off.
Quicker Than Yngwie