NOT STARTING AGAIN

Moderator: Moderators

ross01505

NOT STARTING AGAIN

Post by ross01505 »

Ive had the bike running for two days and it was running gd, thing was to start it you had to pull the throttle quite a bit with the starter button still held until it started and then the engine would rev up slowly until it sort of cleared itself. I'm sure it is running too rich which is causing this. Washed the bike last night and went to start it after and wouldn't start. Left it over night incase any water got into the electrics which would cause it not to start, but still nothing. The battery is fine and the spark plugs were new in it a few days ago which were causing it not to start then. How do i change the mix to make it a bit lean to see if it helps the bike.

Cheers Ross
what would life be without bikes!

ZXR400 l4
GSXR Shock
CBR954 Calipers
ZX7R Master Cylinder
Full Micron Sys
Custom Quickshifter
Braided Lines
Skimmed Head
Camera Mount - Yeeha!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Have you checked the air filter?
ross01505

Post by ross01505 »

i checked the air filter before i built the bike back up. I just connected my dads bike battery to my battery as it didnt seem to turn the starter motor that fast, anyways almost started. But its now flooded. It shouldn't be the spark plugs as they were new 2 days ago. I'll take them out, give them a clean and take the airbox off to see if that helps. Do i need the pilot screw adjuster shown in the manual to see if the carberation is too rich. Which it seems to be. Any way of quickly fixing it.

ZXR400 l4
GSXR Shock
CBR954 Calipers
ZX7R Master Cylinder
Full Micron Sys
Custom Quickshifter
Braided Lines
Skimmed Head
Camera Mount - Yeeha!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Theres a standard setting for the air/fuel mixture, a recent thread had it in but cant remember what it was off the top of my head.
SplaTZXR400
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

think the standard is 1 1/2 turns, thats 540 degrees or something i have a bore and run a richer 2 turns and so it starts with no throttle jus button, but thats me, ye make it leaner if you like by turing it in,(clockwise) and check for a bright spark, i fitted new coils recently and got huge f*** off cone sparks and it makes a good difference. check carb balance aswel.i did mine by eye coz im cheap :smt003
ross01505

Post by ross01505 »

Right, i turned the pilot screws in fully to see if they all were the same and they were. 2 turns, i changed it to 1 1/2 turns out to make it a bit leaner but still no avail. Anyways i thought of a wee trick i was told, heating the plugs in the oven and it worked the bike started straight away and ran fine, but i jst wanted to know why this worked and i dont think it will have solved the problem, so as before the bike will run fine for a few days and then stop once let to cool and not start back up. Any help please on why this helped and if it could have cured it.

cheers ross

ZXR400 l4
GSXR Shock
CBR954 Calipers
ZX7R Master Cylinder
Full Micron Sys
Custom Quickshifter
Braided Lines
Skimmed Head
Camera Mount - Yeeha!