Throttle problem, under 5k blogs.

Moderator: Moderators

SplaTZXR400
My Bike: ZXR400

Throttle problem, under 5k blogs.

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

Once again my lemon forces me to ask for help. i noticed yesterday when i was taking a passenger that wen i was in a high gear crusin at about 2-3k wen i went to open the throttle the engine blogs, and starts sounding funny at the exhaust, as if its not firing, misfiring, backifiring i dunno. theres no power and it kinda stutters, and very slowly pulls. close the throttle to cruise and its fine so i no its carb/mixture related. i did change the pilots back to a leaner setting and no change. diaphrams? main jets?

i no these bikes are gutless under 5k but mine has always pulled slowly but consistantly through all low rev ranges. i appreciate all ur help in the past guys.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

id say its because your puting such a masive straine on the engine the revs i found NEVER like to be under 4,000 so why go there? it makes it power in the higher revs.
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

i no it makes power in the highs revs this is not about how little the power but that fact there is no power, as if its not firing, i no my bike well enoguh to no that this isn't normal.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

Revvy bikes always bog down when you give it a handful in an area where it doesnt have enough momentum to propel you forward in relation to the amount of throttle you gave it.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

no i dont think u understand the problem, there is no power as in there used to be, there is no torque, it feels like it wants to die and the exhaust sounds funny. this aint an everyday thing, this only happened overnight.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

What fuel you got in it? 95 or premium unleaded? Put a shot of Redex through it, that might clean it out :smt001
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

started using 97 wil try redex, done good in the past, jus wondering, all diaphrams seem to move together when reved, but 1 was seated but not sealed, like loose. i can see a kinda residue round it and all of them, is ther suppose to be a kind of silocone sealant in the groove?
tomzxr400

Post by tomzxr400 »

if its ok when your crusing then stutters when you ask for power its running to rich set them all at two turns out then go for a ride if its still same turn each one in a quarter and take it for a ride again see if its ok its trial and error its upto u it could take some time but if you do quarter turns at a time it you should find a sweet spot if not jets could be to big or pay someone to do it on a dyno can be done your self though
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

done that its now at 1 3/4 turns which has always bin perfect. iv jus stripped the carbs down for a clean. im removed and checked diaphramgs but need to know if there is spose to be a sealant round these, there was somethign when i removed them.

ye jets n everything has always been fine, this happened overnight, jus the power delivery is crap. im gonna check airbox incase its not getting enough air 2.
tomzxr400

Post by tomzxr400 »

no the diaframs dont need a seal just make sure they sit in right with no rips and the little jet is pushed in (the one on the out side at the bottom) also is the choke plunger sticking ?
all you can do is check the carbs over and clean them
other than that check you fuel filters in and out of the tank
if it still doesnt work try electrics just elimination i guess good luck!!!
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

ok cheers. ye will check thoroughly n hopefully they will work, like i say it works fine at all revs and revs up quick n easy in neutral, jus with a load its gutless, but thnaksil try wot u said n will reassamble later. will let u know.
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

right good news, getting somewhere! i completely cleane all the carbs, cleaned and lubricated the choke system as u said. cleaned diaphramgs and surfaces, cleaned jets, air ways, plugs etc. n its sparkling.

also i bought new coils + leads with caps the other week, which i fitted 2day. n itsl ike a whole new bike!! it starts and idles perfect!! very smooth now. iv got all the power with no stuttereing, which is good to have back. and as an added bonus i dunno if any of u remember me having that headlight problem, well iv had it since i bout it last august and its solved!! dunno how exactly, either leads caps or coils. but i can now idle my engine with all electrics on and no stalling!!! no more revving at traffic lights!!! yey! FANTASTIC!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Excellent, now all you have to o is enjoy it ovr the summer by getting out there and riding it!

Well done! :smt001
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

thanks man, believe me i will be enjoying much more now!!