Nothing happening when starter switched pressed

Moderator: Moderators

Rexeriot
My Bike: Zxr400 , zrx1100

Nothing happening when starter switched pressed

Post by Rexeriot »

Hi . Have just bought this zxr400 and has been off the road for 6 years. Put on a battery , cleaned the carbs and checked spark . I was ready to go but it didn't start . Turning over fine . Checked spark again and there isnt one now. Then the engine was intermittently turning over . When it didnt you could here a click coming from the fuse box area or surrounding relays. Then nothing on the starter button.. and no click. If I short over the starter solenoid terminals then it turns over. I swopped that over from another and still the same and it works fine on the other bike so I know it's not that. Its obviously something between the starter button and the solenoid. Any ideas guys ? Thanks
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Nothing happening when starter switched pressed

Post by banner001 »

I ha e put the wiring diagrams in colour for both bikes in the electrics section of the forum.

As you can see on there there are direct unbroken wire runs from the switch to the solenoid.

Therefore your issue is bad battery low voltage or amperage, or a solenoid that's dying. Or it's a wiring fault, you need to get a multimeter.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003