buellx1
My Bike: tomos moped

Need some help restoring the zxr

Post by buellx1 »

pics for you pic lovers
thats the 91 zxr400 and the 2000 buell x1 lightning
Ok and here is the problem

FIRST!
WIll not rev over 8800 or so RPM. It has a little black box that says M Max on it or somethin glike that by the dash. I want all 14000 RPMs. tell me how to do it please and what to buy and ill do it!

Second
How tdo i adjust the carbs to elan it out. They are WAYYYYYYYY too rich, like i can smell gas hardcore in the exhaust.
Once i fix the richness problem and get a new battery, i need new rear fairings and the air tubs ....anyone know where to get those that will ship to a US military APO address lol?

anyways, hel on the carb issue would be great. i tried to find the screw illustrated in the manual and i couldnt find it, pics or videos woudl be great!
2000 Buell X1 lightning
1991 ZXR400
*Soon* Aprilia 250 and Ducati 996
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

can you post a pic of the restrictor box??

2 speak to sloweracing on the carb business i'm sure he can help you.

for the air tubes find your nearest hoover dealer :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
buellx1

Post by buellx1 »

give me 6.5 minutes lol i will go downstairs and get it and taker a pic for ya
2000 Buell X1 lightning
1991 ZXR400
buellx1

Post by buellx1 »

i cant get the other to upload, ill try later
2000 Buell X1 lightning
1991 ZXR400
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

robB is the expert on the restrictors, can anyone else shed a light on this? i believe if you unplug this you have to plug in a deristrictor box (pm gemini if you need one).
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
buellx1

Post by buellx1 »

if i destrict it can i get to 14,000 RPM? that thing sounds wicked at8, i cant wait to get it high revved!

Also on ZXRs does it take alot of throttle/clutch modulation to get it going?
Im having a probloem that when i want to go, it wants to die unless i give it quite a bit of gas through the whole clutch releasing ordeal. Nothing like my buell where i just go.
2000 Buell X1 lightning
1991 ZXR400
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

the zxr don't start playing til it hits 10k mate, but it should shoot off from a twist of the throttle?
buellx1

Post by buellx1 »

it runs great at idle and stuff, but when you rev it fast it boghgs like a bugger, adn then when you rev it at half throttle it goes great until rev limiter at like 8 grand lol

were workin on it now
2000 Buell X1 lightning
1991 ZXR400
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

i thought there was a thread on this??????????
Quicker Than Yngwie

buellx1

Post by buellx1 »

on how horrible this bike is running, adn taht i think its ignition related now
2000 Buell X1 lightning
1991 ZXR400
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

That M-Max box is a derestrictor box. Where that box is plugged into, thats where the speedo normally plugs in. If you look at the back of the speedo there will probably be a random loose wire, thats what plugs into the loom. With the at box you should be able to do the full 145mph.

I had one of those M-Max ones on my ZXR but it was really tempremental, so i bought another one and its fine.
buellx1

Post by buellx1 »

Is there another restrictor becuase i cant rev it over 8,000 or so, im sure its to do with teh lack of ignition spark im getting but i was just making sure.
2000 Buell X1 lightning
1991 ZXR400
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Does it do that in every gear? It could be a running problem. Try taking off the de-restrictor and plugging the speedo back in (remember the loose wire at the back of the speedo i was talking about?) and see how the bike runs like that. With the clock plugged in it should rev upto 10k which is what seems to happens to everone elses. If it revs upto 10k then you could probably assume that the de-restrictor is faulty and messing with things. If it still sticks at 8k then you could probably rule out the de-restrictor and put it down to a running problem. Perhaps you could try another CDI and see how you go with another, there must be loadsa spares there in Japan?
buellx1

Post by buellx1 »

i cant even get it to run correctly. Like when i start to go, the bike needs alotta throttle and clutch modulation to get going like it wants to die. thats why i think its somethign in the ignition system and charging maybe not giving it enough power.

if someone has some ignition stuff around let me know, in case i need it. Im going to start with the manual and do all the tests to find out whats bad
2000 Buell X1 lightning
1991 ZXR400
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

How about the ignition leads? My XJR400 had a similar problem, turned out to be the leads breaking down and shorting on the frame. Has it been standing for a while? Could be clogged up carburettors where the fuel has crystalised.