ultra pissed off

Moderator: Moderators

icklelea
My Bike: tomos moped

ultra pissed off

Post by icklelea »

iv explained before that iv got 2 major problems... 1) revs 2) not starting

now 1) my revs, seastars norwich very kindly charged me £50 for the "honour" of telling my revs were sitting too high simply because of my restrictors.. i took them out, it revs even worse now! its particularly bad when iv just put petrol in her. starting her up after that she revs at about 4000 on idle, once shes done a few miles the revs get lower and sits higher for a shorter period of time... question 1 - can i get seastars to solve this prob for free considering they charged me £50 for a bullshit diagnosis?!

2) not starting, shes been really good recently, so i havent bothered about the battery.. until today when i was leaving work and shes dead again... i wiggled her about and held the electric start and ta da shes working again!?!!?
iv got in and iv checked the "dead battery" they took out of her (finally) and its perfect!! full charge, nothing wrong with it... question 2 - can i get them to find whatever is causing her to stop working and get this sorted for free considering the monkeys charged me £77 for a battery and labour to put the bloody thing in when it didnt even need a battery

ok rant over!!! im not a happy bunny atm!! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Bozzie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bozzie »

on the battery side of things. DO you have a alarm or simaler, cus i had a rental scooter that had some dodgy alarm. The problem bieng it starte when it wanted, and it enjoyed settng the alarm off for fun i guess.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

hmmmm, your revs sound like the CDI unit. An old 250 of mine has exacty the same problem, the revs would sit wherever they wanted and was really tempremental. I would have also said the battery as MveZ had a very similar problem which came down to the battery but you say yours is fine so cant be that.
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

Did you check the battery straight after the ride? It will show full charge then, try checking before you ride in case you have an earth/loose wire problem that is causing the battery to discharge whilst turned off. try putting some redex in your fuel in case the carbs are sticking, worth a shot for a cheap fix :smt017

BTW if you can get over to boston(or was it denver) near downham market there used to be a cracking little bike shop there who knew their stuff big time, cant remember their name as its been 7 years since i lived your way :smt003
Own the best-Kawafuckinsaki
paologray

Post by paologray »

The dodgy starting could be a number of things.
1. bad kill switch
2. dodgy "in-gear" selector (will only start with clutch pulled in)
3. bad wires somewhere

I would have said its a bad kill switch... has happened to me before.

the revs, well mine has a similar problem. When driving, you go to hit the front brake and she just keeps driving on - very dangerous!!!
When I pull up to a stop from giving it some beans it will idle for about 10 seconds at about 2500 revs then drop down, might be reg/rec, perished inlet rubbers...

food for thought.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

Mine used to sit at weird revs a lot and be all over the place but i think the zxr is just very picky about it's idle rpm settings.

Try getting the bike nice and hot, temp above halfway on the gauge and set the revs to about 1700ish, just below 2k. This is it's recommended setting. While the engine is cold you'll find it will idle at about 500-800 and once it's nice and warm it'll idle around 1700 and not "stick" up in the higher revs. Remember to keep blipping the throttle while changing the idle speed adjuster to get a proper reading.

As for starting, does it ever just cut out while its running? when i first got mine whenever i turned left it cut out. i ripped the tank and airbox off and found the connectors in the block plug leading from the ignition were pretty much dust. So just replaced the male and female pins and everything was fine. cost me £15 for an electrical crimper set to sort out.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.