noises when starting..

Moderator: Moderators

RstredS

noises when starting..

Post by RstredS »

sometime swhen i try and start i get a load of wierd buzzing sounds and clicking, the it will trun over and fire no problem.

So far ive checked teh batery terminals and they are fine..
so... where does the earth connect to the chassis?

is it likely to be relay.. where is it|?

any more help would be appreciated..
thanks.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

Depends, how severe and how long does the buzz/click go on for before it fires up? Occasionally if i've left my bike for a couple of days it'll spin the starter for a few seconds before firing, If the engines already hot it'll fire up instantly. Somedays it needs a bit choke and somedays it doesnt. If the bikes been jetted at any point it'll be more prone to odd starts aswell because the air pressure has a more drastic effect on the carbs. so does it happen with certain weather conditions?

Normally though, i'd be looking at battery for something like this. they can often read a full charge across the terminals but when you try and start up the voltage drops too low. check electrolyte levels in the battery, etc.. Dont start messing with the alternators/rectifiers/relays till you've eliminated a battery problem, things are simpler that way and usually less expensive. Although I would expect the problem to be happening all the time if theres an electrical or battery charge problem.

Could also be moisture on a connector somewhere that isnt quite sealed properly and causes odd starts somedays.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

well if you've been reading the bike run thread you will be aware that my starter has packed up, at first there was just a tiny buzzing sound and a nice smell of sulphur so i believe the starter relay has burnt out.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

cheers guys. this sound happens BEFORE the starter trurns though, and once its engaged it firse fine. Listening down ther the sound isnt coming from the battery, its coming from one of the boxes that are hung up! what is the one with cooling fins on, under teh tank? THANKS.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

thats the reg/rectifier i believe.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

o dear lol, anyone know where the starter relay is?
tomzxr400

Post by tomzxr400 »

its the round one with a 30 amp fuse in it
take of the left hand rear panel (chain side) and its next to the battery
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

interesting! i took the bike apart last night and put a live feed direct to the starter and still nothing, tried to bump start it and it wasn't having any of it, then i noticed the lights weren't working, checked the battery and it has completely dried up so now i'm thinking the battery is shot? i have filled it with de-ionised water and put it on charge, see what happens?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

battery was half charged last night but put it on the bike and it turned over at the push of the button, so it wasn't the starter it was the battery.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

It's amazing how often batteries are the problem yet many many people refuse to check it first :smt019

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.