Bike ran then stopped...

Moderator: Moderators

kwakbiker
My Bike: tomos moped

Bike ran then stopped...

Post by kwakbiker »

Went to go to work on the ZXR this morning, was gonna be the first proper raz and it died 100yards fromt he house. Started fine, rode along a bit, changed to second and turned out the road then blurrrrrrgh. Felt like it ran outta fuel, full tank tho. Wouldnt restart unless on full throttle(choke made no difference) and would only tickover at 1500 rpm whilst on full throttle. Pushed bike back tot he house, kicked feck out of it and rolled out the 9r which got thrashed to work to make up time :smt012 .

Got in tonight, started second press but wouldnt tickover without some throttle, turned tickover screw up a bit and all seems fine(ticked over well), gonna get the valves checked and carbs balanced ASAP but any input appreciated. Test rode it up and down road and all seems ok, better be cos gonna (try and) use it for work in the morning :smt017
Own the best-Kawafuckinsaki
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Ive had this before on both bikes, i think it might just be crap in the carbs. Ive had it on my XJR when all on its own the tickover rises, adjust it so its where it should be and its fine.
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Well it aint valves it would still run okay if gaps closing up

I would say it could be spark plugs how often do you use the bike could it be damp cant see setting the carbs up will help might be wrong but normally once set up thats enough unless some one has been playing with them

I would change the plugs first then look into the carbs just clean and balance

Good luck mate
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

Cheers for help fellas, plugs are brand new, fitted on friday along with the new battery. Spoke to a mechanic mate and says it could be the fuel filter or fuel pump, gonna investigate tomorrow :smt017
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

Well had an investigate today :smt013 . Tank was full of crap, sorted that and flows fuel fine but it seems some muppet in the past has taken out the inline fuel filter before the fuel pump and that has gone. Bike wont start at all, pump is working intermittantly at best, couple of pulses, nothing......then another, you get the idea. Ordered one off AMS which will be here tuesday, had a good chat with him as well, top bloke, so hopefully will be sorted with that :smt012

Bike is also getting serviced(valve clearance and carbs)next week so if I can get it running I can keep the bill down :smt009
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

New fuel pump fitted, still no joy. 5 ltrs of fresh fuel on the off chance it had gone off after draining old lot, no joy, sparking fine, battery good..........anyone????Mechanic mate is picking it up tomorrow night for a service anyway and fingers crossed will sort it quickly and cheaply. Anyone in the redditch area in need of a v.good mechanic let me know as I may be able to put you in touch with this guy, just gone self employed and working from home and knows his toad :smt002
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

who's that then mate?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

masterofinsanity wrote:who's that then mate?
Ever heard of a guy called wiggy, used to work at knotts?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

think i know who you mean, was he the young lad with sticky out ears?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

masterofinsanity wrote:think i know who you mean, was he the young lad with sticky out ears?
Think he will thankyou for the young bit but not the sticky out ears part :smt005
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

Right then, problem of bike sort of sorted. Turns out the bike is running way to rich and I shagged the new plugs when I put the choke on to start her, stuck old plugs back in and she started. engine is sweet as a nut but its the carbs that are causing problems. Looks like someone has chucked a dynojet kit in or something with no setup work. Im now on the look out for a standard set of carbs for an L1 model and also an airbox cos that was also messed around with. Bike now works which im happy with but hates driving below 3k due to be ing rich.

Next question, are imported zxr's limited to 10k cos it seems mine wont rev past that point and feels like its hitting a limiter but dont know whether its the cdi or the carbs causing it, I want that extra 4k revs :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

ebay for the carbs i guess although they dont seem to come up very often.

Does it not go past 10K in every gear or just in top?

Imported bikes are restricted and need a derestirictor so you can top out rather then stopping at 180kmh.

Theres people on ebay that do the derestrictors but for some reaosnthey stopped selling then, give em an email and theyll be able to send you one. I think they are £30 in total incl P&P.

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI ... em-trading

This is thier link, like i say they dont sell for some reason but they will supply you if you email them.
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

RobB wrote:
Does it not go past 10K in every gear or just in top?

10k in each I think, gonna check tonight on the way to work :smt002
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

RobB i think its about time we did a feature on this limiter don't you??
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah, i have got the original kmh clock at home for my ZXR from when i swapped it for a mph one. I never got round to taking it apart and finding out how the restrictor works.

Thing was tho it only stopped revving when it got to 180kmh, it never stopped at 10k otherwise. I finish uni in 4 weeks time, soon as i get home itll be the first thing i do! :smt002

Oh, and the ZXR workshop! :smt003