smoke, low rev, engine chokes when revving...

Moderator: Moderators

ken

smoke, low rev, engine chokes when revving...

Post by ken »

First of all hi, this is my first post in this forum... sadly here, in "having problems".
So, I get all of those(smoke, crappy rev- seems like engine is choking) for a few minutes. After engine heats up, everything turns to normal. I had the feeling that the fumes are to rich in petrol since this behaviour is even more obvious when starting with choke. Carbs were synchronized about 1k miles(changed sparks- ngk cr9, oil - castrol superbike - full synth). The guy that did the service said he found some oil in one cilinder when changing the spark plugs though. I also did a dumb thing, when prepared the bike for winter I switched off the gas tap and let the engine run dry. Bike obviously didnt start, I managed to choke the engine after several tries, but finally got it running. Also I changed the pipes with race pipes if it makes any difference.
Anyone came across something like this ? I would really appreciate some feedback...
Oh.. and sorry for my poor english. :smt003
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

when did you change the plugs, recently?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

You say you ran the carbs dry, thats a good thing, its what yoru supposed to do when storing the bike as any fuel left in the carbs will gum them up.

If theres oil in one of the cylinders it could be a valve guide seal thats gone or the piston ring.

What colour is the smoke when you start it up? If it looks kinda blue then its oil burning off and likely fouling the plug causing it to run/rev crappy till it burns off. I have the same problem on my XJR400 but doesnt have the crap starting, im guessing not yet anyway.
ken

Post by ken »

I changed the plugs at my last revision(~1k miles), the smoke is blackish and may have a little tint of blue(not quite sure, the smoke is not that dense unless I start with the choke and than it's black all the way). The crazy thing is that if I run the bike daily, all of those simptoms are less evident, less smoke, revs smoother. One more thing I noticed, the engine starts just fine, without the choke, even on cold weather but if I let it idle it dies after a few seconds but otherwise, when heated keeps the idle rev constant- not sure if this is normal behaviour. Oh and thanks for the replies, btw I went to a mechanic the other week and he told me he won't take the engine apart unless I buy a complete set of seals, including head gasket. The problem is he couldnt find any, tried ordering an aftermarket set from Germany(I'm from Romania), tough luck, it seems parts for this bike are scarce in the rest of the Europe aswell.
Bikerz
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Bikerz »

on a real cold day mate mine needs chock or will start but then die after a few seconds, perfectly normal to need s choke to start her on cold day, dont worry about that
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1