What the hell is going on?

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

What the hell is going on?

Post by RedexRobB »

Ok, ive been away the past few days at my girlfriends in Ipswich. Went to start the XJR this morning and nothing. Pushed the starter and it just went click. I thought the engine had seized or summit, tried bump starting it and the rear wheel just locked up :(

Also noticed that petrol is coming out of a pipe underneath, i traced the pipe back and it goes to the air box. So the air box is full of petrol and i now have an almost empty tank of fuel also :?

Gave it a few more tries bump starting and the engine now turns, ahh must be the starter motor playing up, gave it a few whacks and it turns the engine but the battery is now flat :smt013 Of course, tried bumping it and there not enough in the battery to get it started, which means i had to go out this morning to get a charger. The petrol did stop coming out of the pipe but since ive been out and back its letting some more out. Ive also checked the plugs and they are dry as a bone.

Last thing i did with the bike was travel 60 miles from home back to uni, any ideas why its done this cos im completely at loss as to why. My only guess is i filled it up with petrol before i left and some toad has got in the carbs, but why would it flood the airbox with fuel? Either that or someone has tipped the bike over and picked it up and i dont know anything about it.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Ive found the problem! its the fuel tap! The XJR has a vacuum tap which only works when the engine is running. This has fecked up and causes the carbs to flood, so the tap is permanently on :roll:

Consequently this floods the carbs as theres no fuel pump and also floods the airbox, which is where the petrol was coming from and has emptied my tank right down to reserve . Luckily the crank case breather is set to the back of the box and is also raised so hopefully nothing as gone into the motor. Ive checked the smell at the oil filler cap and seems ok.

Luckily i got a spare tap at home i can use. Unfortunately the tap doesnt hav an 'off' position :| So long as i can get it started i can run it on reserve then just switch to 'on' when i park up.
kwakbiker
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by kwakbiker »

Glad ya got it sorted
Own the best-Kawafuckinsaki
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Well i think i have, i got the battery charged up and whacked it in, but it wouldnt start :| Just ended up flattening the battery again :smt012

The engine turned over nicely tho which pleased me alot. I think the carbs are probably just empty of fuel perhaps, but even witht he tap on reserve nothing came out of the pipe so im guessing there really is bugger all in the tank.

Gona wait till i get the tap first, me mum is gonna send me the spare one ive got, thats when ill fill it up proper. That way i know the tap wont be buggered and loose a tank of fuel again :smt011
richie400ss

Post by richie400ss »

change the oil
half an hour's work
not worth gambling
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Good point actually, ill change that soon as i have money.

Finally got the bugger started. Got the spare fuel tap yesterday and fitted it but still wouldnt start, then it started pissing down proper so left it till today, just to wake up in the morning and find out some toad face had tipped my bike over :smt013 If i find em im gonna hurt them needless to say! Not only did it empty the fuel i filled it up with yesterday through the air box, it also made my bike dirty! Like i say pain will be inflicted! :twisted:

Anyways, flattened the battery trying to start it but it got close i have to say, so put battery back on charge and stuck the plugs in the oven :smt003

Tried again, it wouldnt have it, so spent half an hour pushing my bike up the small incline at the back of my halls trying to bump start it, it was getting closer and closer to starting then it did hesitantly fire up! f*** yeah thats feels good! Ive never worked so hard just to get a bike started and was one of the most satisfying moments in my life when it did! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
just_colin
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx6r

Post by just_colin »

what does putting your plugs in the oven do exactly?
I used to have an open mind but it fell out!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

it warms them up mate, they will fire better when warm, also dries out any fuel deposits.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
the_avenging_bucket

tasty plugs

Post by the_avenging_bucket »

:smt016
preheat oven to 200 degrees. bake plugs for 40 minutes or until crisp. serve with fries and beer.
hehe :smt005
'the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do'