Need Help Starting

Moderator: Moderators

Jmez
My Bike: tomos moped

Need Help Starting

Post by Jmez »

Hi, I've left my bike for about 2 months without starting and when i came to start it it nothing except a few pathetic burbles. Then a loud backfire which is clearly the fuel in my exhaust being lit. anyway have tried number of things.
Bumpstarting to no avail.
The other thing is when i looked at my plugs they were covered in fuel. so wire brushed and blowtorched them to warm them up. On first start it almost went but then cut out. took plugs back out. covered in fuel again so cleaned them again and checked they were all igniting in different HT leads.
They all were but i wasnt sure how big the spark should be. I'm a little strapped for cash at the mo so any suggestions before i go out and buy new plugs and fresh fuel would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i've recently had the same problem, it was the plugs, i would suggest changing the plugs mate, i've got a set spare if you wanna try them? splitfires!! :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Jmez

Post by Jmez »

Ok then. Cheers for the offer but my mate's gunna lend us some cash. should i go for iridium plugs which are 2 quid more from http://www.wemoto.co.uk or is it a gimick? cheers for your help.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i just bought a set off ebay for a fiver, came in 2 days too.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
richie400ss

Post by richie400ss »

everything is a gimmick.

it's great being cynical, or am i tryring to convince myself? get it?
Jmez

Post by Jmez »

She lives!! Changed spark plugs and gave it a change of high octane fuel due to the very high 12:1 fuel compression ratio. I guess they just hate to be left standing for any extended time. Cheers for your posts guys! :):):):)
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

just so that you all know, fuel gose off in carbs in 9 days, YES 9 DAYS and fowl the spark plugs, so if you are leaving a bike for winter etc make shore you drain the carbs b4 hand and it will save you the cost of bying new spark plugs, hope that this helps :smt001
rev-it! :)