ZXR Running Problems

Moderator: Moderators

rhysi000
My Bike: zxr400

ZXR Running Problems

Post by rhysi000 »

Hi all, Fairly new to this forum, Had a look around and tried to find the relevant place to post this... sorry if iv'e posted in the wrong section!

I was riding to work on my zxr400 yesterday. when i got to the traffic lights I could feel the bike dying out as if i was running out of petrol kind of thing, so i kept the revs on, But when i got to the next set of lights it cut out, I'd somehow managed to let my battery die so after a few attempts to start her up the battery died, I phoned my friend to come give me a jump start but when he did the bike was sending plumes of blue smoke out the rear. These cleared after 20 seconds or so and returned to normal.
Now I have been on the reserve for quite a bit as I haven't filled the tank in a while
I have also been riding with a very large hole in the bottom of the exhaust as I have just ordered a new stainless steel one but I still needed the bike to get around.

When i drove the bike back home it seems to have a lack of power, Like it isn't opening up fully.

Do you guys have any idea what this could be? Maybe some toad fuel and grit which has been pulled through the fuel line?

I dont have much mechanical ability, Fitting a new exhaust and possibly cleaning the carb is the extent I'd say, Although i'm willing to have a proper look as long as I know it's not at my expense. hehhehe

If you guys could give some advice that would be great.

Thanks.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: ZXR Running Problems

Post by banner001 »

reserve is only 4L, so 40 miles capacity...get it filled with fresh fuel asap...

shouldnt be able to pull dirt into the carbs as you should have a fuel filter inbetween the fuel tank and the pump, as well as 4 small fuel strainers in the carbs

when trying to sort out problems you will need to reduce them bit by bit, so put some fuel in it first, go for a ride and see if its still dodgy.

if you think the battery is dying you might need to look at your charging system for faults...everything wrong with your bike will have been solved here already.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
rhysi000
My Bike: zxr400

Re: ZXR Running Problems

Post by rhysi000 »

Yeah sweet, I'm going to put new exhaust on, fill the tank and take it out for a ride, see how it feels then and post a reply :}

Cheeers