Limits at 6k after being left in rain?

Moderator: Moderators

JoeZXR
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400SP

Limits at 6k after being left in rain?

Post by JoeZXR »

i usually have to leave my bike outside at work meaning if it rains i have to let it get wet..

the first time i left it out in the rain it started fine i rode it home and then went out later that night but after a few miles it began bogging down at around 6k revs and felt like it was suddenly running on a couple of cylinder, i kept riding it out trying to rev it then eventually it cleared up and worked fine again

its been a month since that last happened but the other day i left my bike in the monsoon a few days ago (had no choice) i walked out of work worrying thinking it would be buggered but once again it started fine and i rode home and went out that night, and once again it suddenly bogged down but this times wouldnt go past 4k revs, then was playing up cutting out and flooding itself, this resulted in me riding home trying to clear it out which didnt work this time and i was stuck at 4k revs doing 29mph lol

so far im thinking water has got into the fuel? or the electrics may be wet but i dont even know where to start :/

it revs completely fine until it hits 6k and brick walls like its lost power in cylinders in idle, but when ridden wont rev past 4k...

heres a video of it on idle

http://s1148.photobucket.com/albums/o56 ... 212130.mp4

any help would be appreciated, thank you.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Re: Limits at 6k after being left in rain?

Post by R P Corse »

Sounds like your getting Satan spawn in the tank, happened to me, used to rev up then slowly die and eventually cut out, you might be getting water in your tank making said Satan spawn...this was in my tank
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348680853.828681.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Check the airbox breather isnt full of water.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

BigB wrote:Sounds like your getting Satan spawn in the tank, happened to me, used to rev up then slowly die and eventually cut out, you might be getting water in your tank making said Satan spawn...this was in my tank
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348680853.828681.jpg
bloody hell! thats alot of gunk lol

yeah well thinking about it my fuel filter is clear, i guess ill pour some fuel into a jar and have an inspection :smt002
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

CaNsA wrote:Check the airbox breather isnt full of water.
is the airbox breather the pipe from the left side or right side?

because my left side pipe run underneath the carbs and then into a filter than collects moisture and is connected to the bottom of the tank

and my right side does not have a breather pipe, iv put a bung in the airbox hole and an air filter on my crankcase breather instead
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

JoeZXR wrote:

because my left side pipe run underneath the carbs and then into a filter than collects moisture and is connected to the bottom of the tank

and my right side does not have a breather pipe, iv put a bung in the airbox hole and an air filter on my crankcase breather instead
left side, at the bottom is the water-collection pipe, the right hand side one is the cranckase breather pipe.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

banner001 wrote:
JoeZXR wrote:

left side, at the bottom is the water-collection pipe, the right hand side one is the cranckase breather pipe.
okay thanks, so where is the airbox breather?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Breather / water collection pipe.... same thing sorta.
Whit the bike on the side stand pull the plug from the bottom and some water should drain out.
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

Yup true Satan spawn mate lol though that's in extreme cases, 23years of built up crap and rust, shocked it lasted that long lol

Check Cansa's test first though, failing that, I'd drain the tank completely and see from there - the filter may appear clear (if still stock filter) mine did, was only til I drained the lot I could see what was inside.
JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

iv fixed it i guess it was a fueling problem, i found an old thread from ages ago that said literally just get the bike warm and rev the hell out of it till the revs pick up, gave it a try and after limiting it at 6k for the 4th time it shot up to 14k and is back to normal :excited

thanks for the advice!

i will be cleaning the carbs at the weekend and also buying a new filter! as far as i know the tank and fuel seem pretty clean :)

by any chance should i spray some carb cleaner in the fuel pump just incase theres some gunk in there?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

I have a feeling someone has just pushed a bit of water through their engine.... shocking

JoeZXR

Post by JoeZXR »

CaNsA wrote:I have a feeling someone has just pushed a bit of water through their engine.... shocking
i doubt it :o because it runs exactly the same as before no side effects or anything
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Ok, good luck with that.

bude-zxr
My Bike: ZXR 400 L4

Post by bude-zxr »

A little bit of water going through your engine will not ruin it lol
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

I'm not saying it will.
But it wont do it any good.