wont start most the time and sound different

Moderator: Moderators

azz2693
My Bike: zxr 400 H1

wont start most the time and sound different

Post by azz2693 »

hi guys, looked through nearly all the starting issues people are having and now my eyes have started to hurt so just going to ask, this isn't the common i've not started my bike in years and it won't start because the battery is flat or fuel is stail, my bike is an every day bike that i like to look after but today i have a problem with my zxr 400 H model.

i did an oil change today and decided to have the generator cover off to get some of the old oil out and have a quick look to see how things are, i did the same on the clutch side too, i took the stator out to see its condition and give it a bit of a clean, put it all back together and now the starter motor kind of cranks the engine and wines at alot higher pitch :(

if im lucky the bike will start and it runs just like normal but if i turn it off it will do the same thing so it doesnt matter if the engine is cold or warm, if you hold the start button it starts to crank then dies rather fast but at points it seams the starter motor is spining rather fast, if you take your finger off and try again it does the same but like i said if your lucky the engine gets just enough speed to start up and runs perfectly.

i know its defiently not the battery as its well maintained, rather new and fully charged and then recharged and tried some time after, all the teeth on the starter gears are fine and the one way gear still only goes one way, i have checked the stator thats bolted on the generator cover and there are no breaks in the wires there, and no shorting to the frame, i honestly dont know what it could be and any help would be great, might have to be a garge job but would much rather get it sorted my self. cheers
syihabuddin
My Bike: L9

Re: wont start most the time and sound different

Post by syihabuddin »

I'm gonna take a stab here but I'm thinking you must have moved/dislodged/disconnected something in the ignition pickup area.

Have a look there?
Black_onyx
My Bike: ZXR400 L

Post by Black_onyx »

Trying tapping your starter solenoid,mine managed to stick and was giving me all sorts of problems with starting,just use a hammer,but not to hard :smt002
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

azz2693 wrote:hi guys, looked through nearly all the starting issues people are having and now my eyes have started to hurt so just going to ask, this isn't the common i've not started my bike in years and it won't start because the battery is flat or fuel is stail, my bike is an every day bike that i like to look after but today i have a problem with my zxr 400 H model.

i did an oil change today and decided to have the generator cover off to get some of the old oil out and have a quick look to see how things are, i did the same on the clutch side too, i took the stator out to see its condition and give it a bit of a clean, put it all back together and now the starter motor kind of cranks the engine and wines at alot higher pitch :(

if im lucky the bike will start and it runs just like normal but if i turn it off it will do the same thing so it doesnt matter if the engine is cold or warm, if you hold the start button it starts to crank then dies rather fast but at points it seams the starter motor is spining rather fast, if you take your finger off and try again it does the same but like i said if your lucky the engine gets just enough speed to start up and runs perfectly.

i know its defiently not the battery as its well maintained, rather new and fully charged and then recharged and tried some time after, all the teeth on the starter gears are fine and the one way gear still only goes one way, i have checked the stator thats bolted on the generator cover and there are no breaks in the wires there, and no shorting to the frame, i honestly dont know what it could be and any help would be great, might have to be a garge job but would much rather get it sorted my self. cheers
not to sound to flippant, but if it was working fine, you altered X, and now its not fine...its probably to do with X.

it can be fairly easy to dislodge one of the starter motor gears, i would check and double check everything.

you "cleaned" the stator...when i dissassembled my starter motor i fecked it up completely without knowing it...electrics can be incredibly fickle sometimes...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
azz2693
My Bike: zxr 400 H1

Post by azz2693 »

sorted this out ages ago sorry haha, it wasn't electrical and I had put everything back together perfect 3 times and still had the same problem, the problem actually was the casing, when I removed the casing the gasket was no good so i replaced it with silicone gasket seal, kept all the oil in and stuff out but because the standard paper gasket is x amount thick when I put the casing back on with just the silicone it had trapped the starter motor gear between the outer casing and the crank case so when I pressed the button to start the motor was spinning it until the oil that had lubed it ever so slightly when putting it back together had been used then it would just stick and not start, put a paper gasket in it and it started with no problems :) wont be using the silicone sealant on its own ever again unless I have too, paper gaskets are there for a reason haha