Starting problem

Moderator: Moderators

Black_onyx
My Bike: ZXR400 L

Starting problem

Post by Black_onyx »

Hey guys,have a little problem here...

When the bike is cold it starts fine,it starts to warm up,then it will cut out on idle.

When i go to try and start it it just turns over,there is quite a strong smell of petrol coming from the bike,and if i keep trying to start it,it backfires!

once the bike has cooled down it starts no problem,ive fully charged the battery so i can rule that out,ive searched the forums to no avail,just want to see if you guys can point me in the right direction,thank you very much.

ive had the carbs balanced about 2 months ago,when the bikes running its smooth and theres no signs of problems,just the starter!
Spikey12
My Bike: zxr400

Re: Starting problem

Post by Spikey12 »

I had this problem, I just needed to set the idle valve correctly
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

i would say its possibly 3 things, carbs, electrics or a bit of both.

as stated before, try turning your pilot air screws out by 1/4 turns to lean out your pilot jet see if it makes your problem go away, or get worse etc...

could also be electrical, as your engine heats up you increase the resistance and can cause electrical problems to appear, i would suggest looking at all 4 spark plugs and HT leads, even if this is unlikely to be your problem, it wont do any harm...

EDIT: causes of backfire, basically you have too much unburnt petrol in your exhaust, caused by 2 things usually:-
1. a missfire - causes piston to compress fuel but no spark, this fuel then gets pushed into the hot exhaust and spontaneously ignites...a backfire

or

2. rich engine - too much petrol for the air in the idle position, again gets into the hot exhaust downpipes and explodes as above...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Black_onyx

Post by Black_onyx »

Ok,i checked ht leads,and spark plugs,there was water everywhere in there,so 7 hours later i dryed it all up put it all back together and it still didnt start just was turning over,it then made one hell of a bang and now all i get is a pathetic clicking noise from the battery! :smt013
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Willing to bet here that your battery needs a good charge or is on its way out. Has it been standing for a while?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

flat battery

The very second you turn the key to on your battery is no longer fully charged..................

What are you charging it with ?

Why does it need to be charged ?

How long has it been discharged for ?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

what i think the guys are trying to say is that even though you are charging your battery, it might be almost dead so charging it wont do any good, whats needed is a replacement battery.

also i would be questioning why you have so much water around your spark plugs and HT leads? that area of the engine is sloped, so was the water in the engine recess between the sparkplug cap and the spark plug, or was it all over the top of the engine?

you should have a small piece of plastic that attaches to the top of the radiator, goes under the frame, and sits ontop of the front of the engine, i think this is to stop road crud from getting up and over your engine...is this piece of plastic on your bike?

and is it definitely water and not coolant?
Black_onyx

Post by Black_onyx »

i charged the battery up,and it ran fine when it was cold,its when it heats up,it cuts out,now its not even turning over,it went bang,now i get a small clicking noise,all my lights come on fine!

the water was between plugs and cap it had no odour to it,the airbox had white water marks in it too,took me 7 hours to dry it all out properly,it was out in the rain all day,and it was very heavy!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

beyond help

good luck with it
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

take it to a garage, doesnt sound good...
Black_onyx

Post by Black_onyx »

Had another look this morning,and the clicking sound was coming from the junction box,i took it apart and it stinks of corrosion,i think it may of got wet and fried!