flames out of exhaust ports since rebuild

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

flames out of exhaust ports since rebuild

Post by ross46 »

hi all, ive recently done a rebuild on my l6. realised the head gasket had gone so decided what the hell im going to do it myself. save myself money and learn :) i put it back together and the only problem i had was with the timing. i put some petrol in and tried to start it using easy start. i haven't put the exhaust on as im waiting for the gaskets. when i started it it reved like crazy and when i looked down their was flames shooting out of the exhaust ports. im just wondering if this is something to worry about? i have a small feeling that the timing may not be 100% spot on but i want to find out if it is neccesary for me to take the engine apart again. thanks
beermaker
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400H2

Re: flames out of exhaust ports since rebuild

Post by beermaker »

Not sure its a massive thing to worry about - as far as I know its fairly normal to get spurts of flame from the exhaust ports. You are after all releasing the products of a controlled explosion! As long as the timing isn't affecting the valves you shoild be reasonably safe. Before fully rebuilding just recheck the valve and ignition timing, you may need a strobe gun for this.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Its normal to get flames out especially if u haven't got the headers on. Long as the timing is done as per the manual it should be fine.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

thats Easy start for you lol bloody good stuff!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.