Moderator: Moderators

toykaboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

zxr h2, l3 engine goes blurrrr in 4th 5th and 6th

Post by toykaboy »

morning all,
not long been rideing my zxr only jus got an engine for it, but its kool so much fun! but i now have a problem, about 2weeks ago it was running fine without the hoover pipes and old plugs, pulled right up to 130 then i ran out of road, but went to do the same run again and now she wont pull past 100 and if im screwin it right open in the gears suggested in the title she jus makes this funny noise ( bluuuuurrrrrrr ) lol kinda funny i know!, and i cant figure out what this is???

any ideas anyone??

cheers rob
you bend it you buy it!
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

I have had this problem when my coils where breaking down

And once at Cadwell when the battery was going flat

Could be a starting piont im sure some one else will be along soon to add to the list

Good luck
toykaboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by toykaboy »

ahh sounds like an idea coils never thought of them! do you know of anyway to test them?

rob
you bend it you buy it!
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Sorry got so many spares we just swap them over

But im sure you can use a voltage meter and a manual which should give you a voltage reading or something that there should be working at but im sure some one will tell you later on tonight bit early yet

http://www.sloweracing.co.uk
all new website
mongo

Post by mongo »

Was it colder on your second time run? What was the idle like when you slowed down? Could be carb icing.....
toykaboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by toykaboy »

erm dont think it was any colder? idle was fine no problem. hmmmmm im stumped!
:smt017
you bend it you buy it!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

could be plugs, i 've got the same sound on mine at the mo at any speed. i'm pretty sure its the plugs.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
toykaboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by toykaboy »

iv just put new plugs in it on monday. but with this sound she wont pull hard like it used to either.

rob
you bend it you buy it!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

if you have put new plugs in i would now check your leads, get a spare lead and swap them 1 by 1 and test each time to eliminate any broken leads.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
toykaboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by toykaboy »

yea thats sounds like a good idea cuz the leads are a bit stiff, so migh go and get some at the wk end, i dont know if this is a problem but ive hot h2 carbs on the bike also??

rob
you bend it you buy it!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

might be something to do with that but i would have thought its an ignition problem more than carbs?
toykaboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by toykaboy »

mornin all, right update on my problem, i got a new set of plugs around 3 weeks ago and the bikeran alright for a mile then started to miss when i opened up the throttle.

but yesterday me n the gf went for a ride to the bikersworld shop to get her a coat n stuff, and the bike was fine she pulled cleanly right up to the limiter!

so im pretty stumped cuz i pulled the plugs out and there not even sooty or black ( the centre 2 anyway)

someone has suggested that the coils are breaking down, but it starts first time, and after yesterdays performance i wouldnt have thought it could be the coils.

and another suggestion i have had that it is overfueling itself, which again i dont think it is because of the condition of the plugs.

if anyone has anyother ideas the please share them lol

cheers rob
you bend it you buy it!
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

u can measure HT leads / coils with a volt metre set it to resistance and try and get as low resistance as possible (i do electronics) let me know what resistance u get and then test voltage as u can work everything out
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Doubt youll be able to test the voltage accurately, firstly cos its DC and not constant; its on off on off as the cylinder fires so youll probably get an average. Secondly its probably in the region of about 60,000 volts.

You can test coils with the meter, i believe they should have a resistance per coil, probably a larger resistance on the secondary winding than the primary, it'll say in the workshop manual. Also, taking out each plug at a time, placing the tip of the plug on the head or the frame and starting the bike, you should get a nice blue spark.

Simply testing the leads will tell you that they have a very low resistance, if they have then they are fine. It may even be that leads are breaking down or the insulation is crap. The ones on my XJR are crap, i changed them a year ago and most of this winter i have been starting the bike up on two or three cylinders till one day while i had the tank off, i noticed a fat spark jumping from the lead to the frame :smt013

What about the fuel pump? Someone else here had thier fuel pump go, yours sounds erratic tho.
toykaboy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by toykaboy »

ill see if im not working sunday and i shall do all my tests then i think,

but i had the reverse this mornin, it was missing with the gf on the back, then when she got off it was fine??

rob
you bend it you buy it!