petol in the oil

Moderator: Moderators

mini30rich
My Bike: zxr400/l6

petol in the oil

Post by mini30rich »

Bike had been left alone for 6 years decided to see what broke in the engine expecting the worst , turned out to be just a broken cam chain guide, replaced that along with a list of other worn parts, radiator, hoses, ect.... ran fine in garage now won't start just backfires :smt013 . removed oil filler cap and there is so much petrol in the oil which worried me, bought a compression tester thinking it has to be the piston rings. can anyone advise how high the compression has to be and that if i can get away with just changing the rings without a re-bore as i wanted to surprise the wife in the summer as she has no idea that im putting it back together after 5 years sat in a bush in the garden.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: petol in the oil

Post by RedexRobB »

Have u changed the oil along with the other bits? Or is it fresh oil n the fuel has made its way in since?

It can make its way thought the airbox so make sure carbs are clean too if is been stood. Compression figures are in the manual on main site.
mini30rich
My Bike: zxr400/l6

Re: petol in the oil

Post by mini30rich »

Yes it had brand new castrol power 1 that's now useless. it ran fine took it for a quick spin when she weren't about all was good.

Cylinder 1 reads 120, no:2 120, no:3 110, no:4 115 after i added a drop of oil in the cylinders i believe that before cylinders 1 and 2 just about reached 100psi, thank you for your quick post, i've cleaned the carbs a few times because of rust in the tank causing them to overflow, the bike has always had a hot start issue and was wondering if that was related to the rings as well, its also had a new fuel pump,cam chain. just cannot think of any other reason how fuel got in there and now wont start, worrying