dodgy starting

Moderator: Moderators

psychopaulgtr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 03 Z1000

dodgy starting

Post by psychopaulgtr »

before i start please take note that my down pipes are completly knackerd and im replacing them on saturday. but im not sure whether this is to do with my little problem.

just finished work today and i start the bike up as usual with no problems i set off and the engine cut out because i left my side stand down. fair enough.

i then kick the stand up and start the bike but it took a couple of attempts. but it was raining and cold and the bike had been stood all day in it and it was soaked so i thought this is the cause of the problem.

i got home and the exhaust sounded terrible so its finally gone i switch the engine off to take my helmet in and im about to put her to bed when she wont start. and i kept trying but nothing so ill put her away till saturday which is when i fit the new system

is this because of the rain?........ i hope it is

any ideas??
thanks
paul
There's a little bit of Psycho in all of us
1997 ZXR 400 L5 SOLD 2006 ZX-6R Write-Off 2003 Z1000 happy as a pig in muck
Bazzie
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Bazzie »

Uhm I have a fully open pipe wich means I sometimes have to give it counterpreassure by holding the pipe close with my hand if I just started it before. Cant think of anything else.
mongo

Re: dodgy starting

Post by mongo »

zxr's really are a pain to start anyway, however what mileage has the bike done and how old is it?

Quite likely you need to get the valve clearances checked anyway. If the valve clearances are out of tolerance it makes them even harder to start.
psychopaulgtr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 03 Z1000

Post by psychopaulgtr »

i've replaced the headers and can whith a shiny new micron system

no problems starting at all now even after its just been running

so i agree with bazzie with the counter pressure coz there was a hole about 30mm wide on the old headers.

thanks for your help
psyc
There's a little bit of Psycho in all of us
1997 ZXR 400 L5 SOLD 2006 ZX-6R Write-Off 2003 Z1000 happy as a pig in muck
Bazzie
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Bazzie »

np