Won't Start after a couople of weeks

Moderator: Moderators

Gregster
My Bike: tomos moped

Won't Start after a couople of weeks

Post by Gregster »

I haven't been on my bike for a couple of weeks as it's been too cold & icey for even me.
But I tried to start her up yesterday and she wouldn't start, before I started her up I wriggled the bike about & opened the throttle to get the fuel moving and left it for about an hour, then tried starting her and nothing. Then after a few seconds the engine just made a fast ticking noise not trying to fire up.
It the battery dead? The bike is in a warm room too in my house.

Help, I wanna ride it now!
Gregster
Leeds
angry mike
My Bike: 05' ZX-636R

Post by angry mike »

where was the ticking coming from?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

angry mike wrote:where was the ticking coming from?
there's a pack of white powder under the seat with a few wires coming out...........................
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.

Post by Guest »

battery is dead, as its more than likely the starter relay clicking but theres just not enough juice to fire her up.

get an optimate battery charger and charge it up, or a new battery too and keep it on the optimate, best £35 you will spend.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah thats deffo a flat battery, sounds like its not holding its charge and being somewhere warm it shouldnt have any problems starting your bike.

As guest said, a new battery and invest in an optimate.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

if you do decide to get an optimate (and i can recommend them thanks to gem) see this http://www.performancemotorcycleparts.c ... s/home.htm

came across it tonight.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

the ticking is the soilinoid opening up but not enough juice to start her, thats why you get a ticking sound, charge the battery mate, but if its all white and waved (the battery) then might wana get a new one and a optimate
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1
mongo

Post by mongo »

might be wortwhile when you get it started, to get a multimeter and make sure its not going over 14.8volts at a decent amount of revs, say 4-6k rpm. Then do the same with the lights on, to check the regulator rectifier aint broken.
Gregster

Post by Gregster »

Cheers fellas, visited local garage and the batteries for the bike are about £40-£45 so I've bought the last battery charger from Performance Motorcyles for £30!
Thanks for the advice
Greg
Leeds