ZXR400H losing power when going uphill

Moderator: Moderators

ZXR400RXZ
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 H

ZXR400H losing power when going uphill

Post by ZXR400RXZ »

Hi there

I recently bought a ZXR400H1 model had it serviced not too long ago.
they changed the oil, oil filter, spark plugs etc, not sure if the replaced the fuel and air filters though, lost the job sheet.

recently i noticed that the bikes uphill power kept deteriorating, first it was fine going uphill with a pillion.
eventually after a while it started to struggle going uphill with a pillion, but went fine when i rode alone, and now recently it started struggling uphill without any pillion passenger.

I'm not sure if its dirty carbs or timing thats out, someone mentioned to me that it might be the chain and sprocket, as I am new to this i do not know much about bikes, but do have a mechanincal background.

can anyone please assist?

Regards
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: ZXR400H losing power when going uphill

Post by bendog66 »

..........................did you try changing down a gear? confuddled
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Post by Daniel.p »

make sure you have little slack on your chain try pulling your wheel back and a notch or two might solve your problem
Ride it like you stole it
ZXR400RXZ

Post by ZXR400RXZ »

bendog66 wrote:..........................did you try changing down a gear? confuddled
Well basically it was when going up a ramp to a second level parking, was going up in first gear but bike really struggled, noticed though that it only happens when its really hot
ZXR400RXZ

Post by ZXR400RXZ »

Daniel.p wrote:make sure you have little slack on your chain try pulling your wheel back and a notch or two might solve your problem
I think there is a little play on the chain will give it a try and post feedback, thanks :smt002
ZXR400RXZ

Post by ZXR400RXZ »

Daniel.p wrote:make sure you have little slack on your chain try pulling your wheel back and a notch or two might solve your problem
Ok I adjusted the rear wheel to increase the tension on the chain, my chain was way loose.
I read somewhere that it needs to be set so that it moves about 1/4 inch at its loosest point, so i did this.
When testing the bike I felt an immediate change in performance, its more responsive and shifts gears better, it went up the ramp with ease when I was alone, have yet to try with a pillion.
thanks for the help
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

So there you go folks all those years of trying to get more power from your ZXR and all you needed to do was tighten your chain until it was like a bow string and you'd have been there.............................awesome stuff guys thank you.

NOTE

This post contains extreme scarcasism................................. do not be offended
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

haha to the above comment.....im not sure what the manual actually says about chain tightness but 1/4 inch is way tighter than i would personally have it. having it that tight doesnt leave any give for suspension movement on take up and bumps etc, and especially carrying a pillion. i would loosen it off a bit otherwise it could cause excessive wear or the chain or worse...
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I reckon that at 1/4 inch the output shaft bearing is under serious pressure once some weght is on the bike never mind what will happen on a bump in the road.
The sprocket carrier bearing will also be less than happy and if the chain snaps could do all sorts of fun things on it's way out...........including leaving a nice chain shaped bruise on a leg.................................
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

i've read something similar i think. I recall the manual says 10-15mm when on the side stand. This is less than i'd usually set, but then again there is already i'd gues about 50% of the working weight on the wheel already (the rest being me). That said surely setting slack on a paddock stand would have the same effect since the stand rests on the swingarm?

but yeah, 1/4 inch seems way tight - but you it slackened itself of alot within about 5 miles or 3 speed bumps, whichever came soonest!
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

if it's getting worse in the same situation (ie same hill, first heavily loaded, then medium load etc) could it be more to do with the engine load? ie wider throttle openings as the revs drop as the bike slows. If the fuellings off a bit, this could be making it bog (going too rich?)
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).