Engine looses power at around 10,000Rpm

Moderator: Moderators

cardboardcutouts
My Bike: Zxr 400 1991

Re: Engine looses power at around 10,000Rpm

Post by cardboardcutouts »

To be honest I wouldn't want to do that really, because of my neighbours, but I suppose I could tomorrow and see? It just seems like the clocks are the cause having looked at the restriction threads. But still I am not sure what I would need to do if that is indeed the cause of my problem
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Post by Daniel.p »

well my bikes a jap import and all i did was put a little blue connector on my clocks and all it does is change kph into mph ;)
Ride it like you stole it
cardboardcutouts

I sort of broke my kph clocks after i took them off, so i cant even just put them back on... So is there actually a fix i can do to it? is it the one with the 10ohm resistor?
zxr500man
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by zxr500man »

ya ,ya should try that with the resistor,see if that works ,i think its the black and pink.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Given that you have a blue label CDI I would say that your problem does NOT lie there.

You need to look further could be a spark plug problem or fueling............................

Just to be clear your change of clocks has NOT I believe caused this problem.....................
cardboardcutouts

Okay, well maybe i'll try looking around the engine? i looked at the air filter day before yesterday, that seemed lovely. I have changed the fuel filter. I didnt however check the plugs, so you suggest i do that?

The only thing that is bugging me that this clocks issue sounds very in keeping with it all. It was working lovely the last time i rode it, then i changed the clocks and went out on it and thats when i noticed it.... Plus when i changed the clocks i did notice there was one extra connector on the old kph clock that wasnt on the new mph one...
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

see on my clocks i have this little black box god knows what its for but its apperently bin pat tested? wtf! and mine isnt restricted either does 140 and im sure its standard bit strange :/ didnt you say you left your bike for a while? was it stored in a garage or outside? and 100% check mayby change your spark plugs
cardboardcutouts

Yeah I think I didn't ride it for about a month. It is in a shed ATM which isn't ideal but I am in the process of making myself a nice big cosey workshop for it to go in but no-one would deliver the concrete this week because of Christmas so couldn't get it started! The shed it's in does have the tumble dryer in it and one day I forgot to put the vent out the window when I used it and the bike was damp when I went in there, do you think this could have done something?
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

it could have done but i mean you only left the vent in once i cant see it majorly effecting it mayby drain your carbs you could have condenced water in them
cardboardcutouts

But would the bike run very well at low revs in that case?
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

yeh you have a point there it would sturggle to idle tough one man im a nooby myself to the zxr but my little bitch has cropped up loads of problems so iv always had the tools on it, is it 10k in each gear? if so its much more likely you have a restriction
cardboardcutouts

yeah sure is, wont go over 110 mph (not that ive tried!) or 10.000rpm in any gear so it must be a restriction. I may have to try the 10ohm resistor trick but i am a little worried i might mess it up!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Can we please have a picture of your CDI box....................................I'm 99% certain that if it is a blue label CDI then you simply do NOT have a10K revs restriction...........................

Your KHP clock will have a little circuit board inside attached to the black 3 wire plug..................it is possible to take the clock apart and remove the circuit board and plug then plug in the little circuit board to the loom connetor. I've done this myself to fool a yellow CDI box into thinking the clock is stil there and thus avoid the 10 K limit.

But you said you have a blue CDI and I'm sure there is no 10K limit with a blue CDI........................

Until I see a picture of your CDI I can help you no further........
cardboardcutouts

right hopefully these work!

Sorry i took them whilst in the shed, its dark in there, no lights!

cardboardcutouts

Right, i have sorted the problem, went out to the shed this afternoon on a mission to work this out! I thought i would just show you guys what i did.. Its a bit ropey but it works and thats all that matters!

First off i noticed this little black box which looked aftermarket attached to the old kph clocks which was connected to a connector that the mph clocks did not have.
it looked like this..

So i followed the three wires from that, from the connector back until after the connector on the bikes side of the loom and snipped them. (Pink, Black - with yellow stripe, and brown.)

Then i took the black box, which im guessing may be the resistor everyone is on about? Cut the connector off and wired it directly in the bikes loom before the connector block as show!

Then i reconnected the the mph clocks, fired her up and opened the throttle until over 10,000 rpm, And it didnt pop or bounce like before so im pretty sure its all fine! Am going to go out for a ride on it tomorrow hopefully to give it a try! :excited