running on 2-3 cylinders

Moderator: Moderators

Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

running on 2-3 cylinders

Post by Daniel.p »

got on the bike to head off to work started fine heated up fine so set off. rev'd up to like 8k and it died i thought meh mayby its abit cold 100m more it went choo choo thomas the bloody tank engine sounded like toad and ran like pants stopped in the car park got a friend to bring me a tool box and done some work on it looking in 1 of the spark terminals it was oily? and the rest were fine. so iv replaced all 4 sparks and no luck gave zimm a ring off here :) and he said htc leads but if this doesn't work what else could it be except the coil's and why is there oil in that 1 but no other? baffled me
Ride it like you stole it
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Re: running on 2-3 cylinders

Post by extonyg »

ye possibly leads or coils, or could be blockage etc in the carbs, could be lots of things really.
as for the oil in the spark plug well there are gaskets and o-rings at the top of the spark plug tubes underneath the cam cover which are common for leaking.you can get away with taking cam cover off and putting some sealant around them or some new seals and gaskets would be better.
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

o yeh also with this problem when iv got it idling if i pulled the throttle more than 1/4 way itll just die off and cutout does this point more towards the coil side of things or fueling?
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by extonyg »

ye sounds more like a fueling/setup issue.check for air leaks and make sure everything is secure etc.
is this an on going problem or something that has just started?
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

first time its ever happened. ran sweet as a nut last 2 months warmed it up took her out and then 1/4 mile down the road it just ran like toad and lost power was still idleish but sounded like a fucking tank! replaced all sparks no luck got 2 new coils on the way how could i check if its fueling?
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

o yeh i drained my carbs today all 2-3-4 were fine but i tryed 1 and it took agessssss to even start to drain but my bike seems to be not firing on cylinder 2? this has confused the hell out of me!
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by extonyg »

why do you think its not firing on cylinder 2?
i would get the carbs off and have a look at number 1 if no fuel was coming out, make sure float isnt stuck/split or no blockages etc. before i replaced the coils as cleaning doesnt cost anything.
Daniel.p

Post by Daniel.p »

Omfg my bike works had a tamper today cleaned the carbs out took my restrictors out and vroom! Didnt realise how fast my ninja was it does 140 and gets there very fast so im thinking its been tuned somewhere