Desperate help needed

Moderator: Moderators

bikenut
My Bike: ZXR 400 L5, YZF-R1

Re: Desperate help needed

Post by bikenut »

Davw wrote:
Sorry that didnt help but if the electrics are ok it must be the carbs. - make sure that number 2 and 3 carbs are:-

1) Getting fuel to the float bowl

2) That the float/ float valve is working properly - ie not flooding 2 and 3
All the bowls are getting fuel and the valves are fine, i have replaced the o-rings in there and they are definitely not flooding.

I noticed that when i stripped them down again today that on carb #1 the pilot screw washer and o-ring had managed to swap places, i.e. it was washer, o-ring and then spring, they must have flipped in the bore when i removed the pilot screw.

Also i think i may have found a blockage on the tiny brass tube that sits on the edge of the diaphram on carbs #2 and #3.

I have cleaned the carbs today to within an inch of their lives, i am picking up new o-rings for the pilot screws tomorrow so will try them hopefully tomorrow night.
ZXR_L9
My Bike: R1

Post by ZXR_L9 »

Have you checked for an air leak in the carb trumpets??

If they aren’t seated properly air will get drawn in air and cause the revs to hover then drop.

My other half’s does the same I just haven’t gotten round to fixing it yet. A mate of mine is a mechanic and hes suggested the best way to locate the leak is to start the bike and spray the trumpets one at a time with bike calliper cleaner... if there is air getting sucked in it will suck in the brake cleaner and the revs will climb because it gets draw in to the cylinder and gets burnt.

cheap option and worth a try before you go buying loads of parts..??
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Electrics over 8yrs decay - dampness wrecks them and coils breakdown

Coils can both work but provide weak sparks - rectifier s can break down as well as CDIs

My 1st task with my non-runner was to get it running - the carbs were fooked with gum but I got it running and once warm started fine so I knew all electrics were doing their job.

Change carbs to a FCR set working and the bike ran peachy.

Fooked carbs like my CVK's will still get your bike running but just not idle , if I gave it hand fulls it would rev out - this is a good sign your engine and electrics are coping

If the bike wont rev or konks out then it's not carbs - it's electrics, check your pick-ups - they will rust over an 8yr priod ( that cover with the small black plastic windoe you can undo with a 2P

CHECK all your earth points and indeed all your electrical contacts - a healthy running bike laid up DOES NOT develop engine problems.

Electics then Fuel are your main problems

Just my 2P worth and could be utterly wrong but there you go :smt002
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly