starting issues

Moderator: Moderators

LaimG
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

starting issues

Post by LaimG »

Help my H1 is having issues starting, press the starter button and the engine will start to turn over but will then sound like the starter is disingauging the engine and just spinning :smt017 any ideas of what might be up with her?
Gotta keep it singing
jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Re: starting issues

Post by jackdim »

Worn starter teeth?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

LaimG wrote:Help my H1 is having issues starting, press the starter button and the engine will start to turn over but will then sound like the starter is disingauging the engine and just spinning :smt017 any ideas of what might be up with her?
Clearly IF the starter motor is turning and the engine is not turning over then the problem lies in the connection between the starter motor and the engine.
The starter motor turns a gear that drives onto another gear on the back of the generator rotor................... this gear only drives in one direction so that when the engine starts the starter motor doesn't turn.

All will be revealed when you take off the generator cover.......................
LaimG

Post by LaimG »

ok not going well starter seems fine, and i have changed the starter relay and still no joy :smt013 anyone know what else i can try?? i miss my bike vsad
Gotta keep it singing
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

if it were me i would change the starter, it my work fine when out of the bike, or however you tested it, but when under load (turning the engine) it may fail
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Given what you've told us I still stand by my first post.

Nothing you said would indicate a faulty starter relay so why change it ?

And before you rush out to buy a replacement starter I'd have a look at the one you got for signs of damage or wear. which I think is what I meant in my first post.

I wonder could Lewisdale tell us exactly how to replace the starter ?
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

TAKE THE TANK OFF, THEN LOOK AT THE ENGINE, STARTER IS LOCATED TOWARDS THE LEFT HAND SIDE, FROM WHAT I CAN REMEMBER THERES A COUPLE OF 8MM OR 10MM BOLTS AND A COUPLE OF CABLES, NOT ROCKET SCIENCE CARGO, AND IM SURE EVEN YOURE NOT THAT DUMB :pmsl
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Heres a picture of the area I suspect you need to look at. The small splined shaft on the right is the starter motor which drive onto the gears you can see.
Please note this is a picture with a modified generater rotor so your will look a little different the the starter gear is the same

LaimG

Post by LaimG »

thank you for all your help cargo and others, it does appear that its the starter clutch that has failed :smt013
Gotta keep it singing
azz2693
My Bike: zxr 400 H1

Post by azz2693 »

hi guys, i have a similar problem with my H model, i did an oil change today and decided to have the generator cover off to get some of the old oil out and have a quick look to see how things are, i did the same on the clutch side too, i took the stator out to see its condition and give it a bit of a clean, put it all back together and now the starter motor kind of cranks the engine and wines at alot higher pitch, if im lucky the bike will start and it runs just like normal but if it turn it off it will do the same thing so it doesnt matter if the engine is cold or warm, if you hold the start button it starts to crank then dies rather fast but at points it seams the starter motor is spining rather fast, if you take your finger off and try again it does the same but like i said if your lucky the engine gets just enough speed to start up and runs perfectly, i know its defiently not the battery as its well maintained rather new and fully charged and then re charged and tried some time after, all the teeth on the gears are fine and the one way gear still only goes one way, i have checked the stator thats bolted on the generator cover and there are no shorts there, i honestly dont know what it could be and any help would be great, might have to be a garge job but would much rather get it sorted my self. cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

If it was running fine before hand id suggest house take a look at what you have worked on.