Changing the oil

Moderator: Moderators

tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

Changing the oil

Post by tng21 »

Due to being very new to bikes, ive been advised to change the oil in my bike as it stood all winter.

Now parently i should put a new filter in at the same time, how much are these? ANd how to i drain the oil from the bike to put the new oil in. Totaly novice here so moron explantion needed :smt037

is there a right up with pics anywhere?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Changing the oil

Post by RedexRobB »

Give me the end of this week and ill do one for you! Should have the chain adjustment done also!
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

cheers ROb mate, chain one sounds good too as the last owner said it could do with a new chain and sprockets.

Have to ask these questions as i have this habbit of taking things apart to sort soemthing and never manage to put things back together again so im definatly not touching the bike as ill be gutted lol.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

easy, undo sump plug (assuming you know where and what it is) drain oil into a bowl or something similar, remove oil filter ( a new ones about £7) replace with new one, rub a little oil around the rim of the new one and tighten hand tight, fill engine with oil via the filler cap. might be worth putting some engine flush through it whilst you are doing it.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

masterofinsanity wrote:easy, undo sump plug (assuming you know where and what it is) drain oil into a bowl or something similar, remove oil filter ( a new ones about £7) replace with new one, rub a little oil around the rim of the new one and tighten hand tight, fill engine with oil via the filler cap. might be worth putting some engine flush through it whilst you are doing it.
sump plug, no i dont but i assume its just underneathe the engine lol. where is the oil filter though? now i will admit i dont know where that is.
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Post by gubbs »

tng21 wrote:
masterofinsanity wrote:easy, undo sump plug (assuming you know where and what it is) drain oil into a bowl or something similar, remove oil filter ( a new ones about £7) replace with new one, rub a little oil around the rim of the new one and tighten hand tight, fill engine with oil via the filler cap. might be worth putting some engine flush through it whilst you are doing it.
sump plug, no i dont but i assume its just underneathe the engine lol. where is the oil filter though? now i will admit i dont know where that is.
Just download the pdf manual mate.

Its a lot easier than guessing ..

Have you got someone coming over to help you out? Rob mentioned in a post he was helping? If not let me know.
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)
Vespa et4 (almost broken)

My FleaBay

"Save the planet, eat a vegan .." - Clarkson
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

well no i dont have any help, i forgot to reply to Rob ( Sorry Rob, cheers for the offer ) but i doubt anyones willing to travel that far as im down in easy anglia near Norwich. Ive just started talking to an old friend ( the one who got me into bikes insidently ) who has a lovely R1 so i think it i get into any problems he's help. But i do like to see if i can do things myself so i get to learn myself so i dont rely on others.

Plus it'll be cheaper as you wouldnt have to pay anyone or give a mate a drink lol

And yes i am tight. Its due to my old man being a mechanic so ive never had to pay for my cars to be fixed but he cant fix bikes so i need to find as much knowledge as possible

Gubbs fella, where's this PFD manual. And also any news on how im payin you for these parts fella?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

tng21 wrote:
Gubbs fella, where's this PFD manual. And also any news on how im payin you for these parts fella?

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/manual.html :smt012
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

its a very quick and easy job, cuple of tips

1.Make sure its a deep large bowl, or even better a oil pan. Belive me you dont want to be spilling oil all over the place!
2.Dont over tighten the sump plug i know a few monkeys who have snaped the bolt or cracked the sump
3.Have somthing to remove the old filter with, eaither a go screw driver and stab it and undo, or a filter told (baslicly a leaver with a chain ontop to crush and turn it)
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

Rene how tight has the sumplug gotta be as my mates just been told by her machanic her sumps nackered but was fiune before so im guessin he's tighhtened too much and cracked it as it never leaked before.

And for anyone reading this she's in need of a sump for h model lump if anyones got one for sale???

cheers
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

H and L sumps are identical.
Andy
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

thats handy to know andy cheers :smt002
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

not tight at all, normaly i do them up finger tight then just a nick with the socket set will do it. The plug dosent attualy take any load its just got to seal so it dosent need to be tight
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

get a new sump washer too.

The manual should state what torque to do the plug up to, so buy a torque wrench and do what the manual says :-)
If you dont want to buy a torque wrench, you should be able to make a very educated guess as to when you have reached the correct torque
Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

cant say i've ever replaced the washer, yes i know its wrong but im just to dam lazy for that! this washers now been though 5 oil changes and dosent seem to have leaked yet!
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-