Whats the best engine oil for the zxr400???

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Doalot
My Bike: Ducati 996

Re: Whats the best engine oil for the zxr400???

Post by Dr Doalot »

Hey All

I see people are saying bike oil is better than car oil. I found this article from MCN on the ducati mechannica website that may (or may not) be of interest

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

TL:DR ... MCN "can find no substantive evidence that using a high-quality, name-brand automotive oil in an average street motorcycle is in any way harmful or less effective in providing proper lubrication and protection than using the more expensive, motorcycle-specific oils."

Hope this helps
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Whats the best engine oil for the zxr400???

Post by Tirpitz »

Oh the old fully synth / clutch slip chestnut is alive an well here too. Funny that 'cos I've owned my L4 from new, always run it on Silkolene fully synth and never suffered from clutch slip. And I suppose all the guys racing ZXR400s and thrashing the tits off them opt for semi-synth, and risk fubarring their tuned engines, rather than running fully synth? Or perhaps they are all using the fully synth and just putting up with clutch slip? And I also used fully synth in a Slingshot I bought and the clutch on that never slipped either (although it did drink the oil, much preferred something thicker). Utter rubbish, it won't make your clutch slip unless your clutch has an intrinsic problem which needs sorting. Received 'wisdom'.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock