1999 zxr oil change

Moderator: Moderators

swindo221991
My Bike: ZXR400

1999 zxr oil change

Post by swindo221991 »

Hi all

So today I drained all the engine oil out of my 1999 zxr 400.

I warmed the bike up for 10-15 mins, then removed the drain screw etc etc.

The oil came out really black which is fine, however the engine oil screw cap (where the oil gets filled up) had a milky white residue in it and when I looked at the viewing window this was also milky white.

I'm slightly baffled by the fact that the oil came out black but yet the inside of the engine seems to have a milky white substance in it (and before anyone says it.... I like my bike but not that much .... ;)) . The only thing I can think of is that my bike has been sat in a garage for the last three years and hasn't been started - is it possible for condensation to build up in the engine?

Will I need to put some cheap engine oil in with some engine flush, run the engine for a bit, take out cheap oil and engine flush and replace with good quality oil?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: 1999 zxr oil change

Post by Miles »

Common issue, more than likely condensation from storage.

Too be sure you could do a compression test or run the bike and see if you get bubbles in the coolant. This will tell you if the head gasket has gone.

Also when you ran the oil out remember any water would come first as oil floats on water.
richyrd5
My Bike: 400h

Post by richyrd5 »

Yes.as long as you don't have head gasket failure its from condensation..ive got it at the moment on mine...thought the gasket had gone at first but all good...just gets milky from standing around...good flush out won't harm it.. winks
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

as above, as long as theres no oil in the water, and no water in the oil, then its just condensation.
swindo221991

Post by swindo221991 »

Thanks for the reply guys.

If it was a gasket wouldn't all the engine oil turn a milky white?

I'm not going to be using the bike much (maybe 1000 miles a year). Is there anything wrong with leaving the White residue in there and putting fresh oil in? Will this cause problems considering the amount/ lack of use?

Thanks,

Pete
richyrd5
My Bike: 400h

Post by richyrd5 »

It would be better to flush it out rather than put fresh oil in..best to get some cheapy oil with a flushing agent,say half n half...put it in and get it hot...dump it out and put fresh oil in with a new filter...that's what I'm going to do anyway winks
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

There's absolutely no need to mess about flushing your engine and it will arguably do more harm than good. Just put fresh oil in and take the bike for a good run for at least 20 minutes to get it properly hot. Any water in the engine will evaporate through the breather. Sorted.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock