Oil cooler blanks

Moderator: Moderators

wilko
My Bike: zxr400 L1 & R1 4c8

Oil cooler blanks

Post by wilko »

Hi everyone just a quick one to see if anyone has had this problem. I have just removed the oil cooler an fitted blanks in its place. Fitted new filter and topped back up with oil. Fired her up and the oil light stays on. I have checked for air locks and still the lights on. Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Oil cooler blanks

Post by Miles »

Silly question but did you put the correct amount of oil in? The bike requires slightly more if you change the filter
wilko

Post by wilko »

Yeh I have filled it up and it looks ok in the little window. It's got me thinking lol
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Removing the oil cooler will of course change the amount needed and I image it would affect the oil pressure. Could be what's throwing the sensor.

Having never removed the cooler I couldn't say for sure

Check with the 'racing department''
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

i never had a problem with my oil pressure light when i removed my oil cooler, and i fitted blanks as well.

try adding more oil - try going halfway between the two lines when the bike has been stood for a few hours and is upright and not at an angle, if it still comes on try topping up so you are at the top of the top line, if it still comes on you might have a blockage thats restricting oil going to the pressure sensor.

i cant remember the oil-way diagram from memory, but if you print it out and "blank" off the oil cooler see where the oil should be going, and see where the pressure switch is in the system, cant remember from memory.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
wilko

Post by wilko »

Cheers banner I will have a look at the diagram and try topping up the oil. I will let you know how I get on