how often to change your oil

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

how often to change your oil

Post by ross46 »

How often do you guys change your oil? Info on oil type, grade, riding and use, the maintenance chart in the manual says every year or 10,000km (6,200miles) to me that sounds a long interval to me, I change my oil every 1000-1500 miles, might be overkill but im comfortable with that interval apart from cost, can my interval be extended? Opinions welcome, thanks
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Re: how often to change your oil

Post by JamieNeve »

I'm doing mine every 2000 just to be safe too- my Halfords employee discount does help with this though. However I do know loads of people who do it less frequently. I personally wouldn't do it every 6200 miles, but if that's what Kawasaki are saying, I guess they know best!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

At the height of the fully synthetic versus semi synthetic versus mineral oil debate I spoke to a man from Mobil Oil he told me that they had a car oil that could go in a car engine for the entire life of that engine................cars are different to bikes because the oil is not near the clutch or gearbox...........but it speak volumes for how oil has developed over the years......................

For racing I change it twice maybe 3 times a season depending on the number of races I've done and I always change oil after practice week at the MGP

I use semi synthetic

Everyone will likely have there're own take on this................but if Mr Kawasaki say it then :smt023
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

I've used Castrol power 1 racing, fully sythetic and think it may have played with the clutch, the clutch is going to be replaced so need to put new oil in it, so if im going to its going to be good oil, thinking motul 300v, I know its sythetic but everyone ive spoken to says its good stuff, thoughts? With a new clutch, k&n filter and £50 racing fully synthetic oil I think I should be able to leave it alone for a while, not 6000, thinking more have a look at 3k, if it still looks good then I'll leave it, with a high quality oil I think it should be ok to leave longer, using cheap oil I would change every 1500-2000
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Rock Oil Guardian semi synth, it'll be replaced every 1000 - 2000 miles, not out of necessity, just love to spoil my engines, they're worth it.
One could argue for hours about this, just use a good qualiy correct grade oil, dead easy, bike will bloody love you, it will.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

KwakKwak wrote:Rock Oil Guardian semi synth, it'll be replaced every 1000 - 2000 miles, not out of necessity, just love to spoil my engines, they're worth it.
One could argue for hours about this, just use a good qualiy correct grade oil, dead easy, bike will bloody love you, it will.

That's good stuff......................I recommend it and unlike a lot of superstar racers who get paid to sing the praises of oil or whatever

I buy the damn stuff
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

I also use rock oil, the factory is only round the corner :D
But if i was to change my oil every 1000 > 2000 miles I'd be doing it about twice a month.

I will change my oil about twice a year if I feel like it.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
noodleface

Post by noodleface »

every 2000-3000 miles along with changing the oil filter.

-nf
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

So is that what you run cargo? Rock oil? Saw you saying you could get cases of motul in bulk for cheaper, would you say thats a good oil?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I use the Rock oil in one engine

And a Hein Gericke own brand semi syn that is made by Motul in my other engines................I got a load of this stuff when it was on special offer and I've still got some left.

My R6 runs on Motul fully syn
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

cargo wrote:I use the Rock oil in one engine
If it goes pop let me know, Motul was reccomended by dealer I bought bike off, but I thought if CaNsA ever does a late night raid round the corner there'll be bargains to be had, cert.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

KwakKwak wrote:
cargo wrote:I use the Rock oil in one engine
If it goes pop let me know, Motul was reccomended by dealer I bought bike off, but I thought if CaNsA ever does a late night raid round the corner there'll be bargains to be had, cert.

Rogers engines don't go pop :smt018

And if CaNsa is up for it I'll buy all he can get
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

+1 on the rock oil if he gets it :pmsl I recently used an old can of rock oil chain lube I had hanging around, got a massive can of silkolene racing lube, put the rock oil on and seems brilliant, it foams blue!! Has stayed on longer than the silkolene
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Motul do a good chain lube....................very sticky but most of what's in the can is solvent so it penetrates well .................good for racing I think but no so good for road use
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

cargo wrote:Motul do a good chain lube....................very sticky but most of what's in the can is solvent so it penetrates well .................good for racing I think but no so good for road use
I use Sikolene racing on my chain, reckoned it would be better, also reckoned it would need to be used alot more than the road stuff, no problem as lubing the chain isn't exactly a difficult job, is my thinking here bollox - as you say the racing lube is not so good for road use??
Also notice it doesn't throw off all over bikies poor belly, unlike whatever was on it when I got the bike.