Oil Leak near side stand

Moderator: Moderators

parsasm
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Oil Leak near side stand

Post by parsasm »

Hello,
I have a small leak left side of my zxr400 l9. Not mechanically minded at all, its a very slow leak down the side stand, dark fluid, where is it from and what could of caused it?
thanks
please see attached pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Oil Leak near side stand

Post by banner001 »

hard to tell from the pics. if it definitely oil then i would have though an oil seal, so either your front sprocket oil seal, or the gear-shift rod oil seal.

its not road crap thats getting flung onto the engine from the chain and then falling off is it?.

if you remove the LHS footrest and the linkage where it meets the gear-shift rod (10mm bolt) you can then take off that black plastic cover that the gear-shift rod comes through (4 outer bolts, 8mm i think) you will then see your front sprocket and the gear-shift rod in better detail, you might be able to work out where its coming from.

either way im pretty sure its a garage repair, especially if your not mechanically minded. but its a lot better if you can go in and say "it needs # changing, the part costs £xx from Cradleys, how much for labour" as opposed to "i have a leak, fix it please, here is money".
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
6K1RKYJ9
My Bike: zxr 400 l4, 94

Re: Oil Leak near side stand

Post by 6K1RKYJ9 »

Did u find out what this was as I've the same problem. If so, did u fix it you self?