oil leaking from left side of bike

Moderator: Moderators

william42
My Bike: zxr400

oil leaking from left side of bike

Post by william42 »

hi all been doing up a zxr just finshed her have her on the road great little bike going to work this moring just about to start bike and i seen some oil on garage floor it seems to be coming from the caseing from the gentator side off bike anyone any ideas why this might be i thought there was no oil in this side off bike
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: oil leaking from left side of bike

Post by Tirpitz »

If you look at the fiche you will see the genny cover has a gasket. If there was no oil inside there would be no need for this. It's not full of oil but there is some seepage inside. Clearly your gasket is knackered or missing or it wouldn't be leaking by - or the genny cover has had a knock out of shape.

I suspect you need a new gasket. You don't need to drop the sump oil to remove the cover BTW, there should only be a bit inside.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by richr »

maybe a cracked cover as well

when you pull the cover off give it a good check over for cracks especially if its been painted recently

regards rich
william42
My Bike: zxr400

Post by william42 »

thanks will check gasket and cover
harribo25
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by harribo25 »

Hi did you manage to find out what was causing the problem as mine is also leaking oil from the same place. Thanks
6K1RKYJ9
My Bike: zxr 400 l4, 94

Post by 6K1RKYJ9 »

I've recently had the generator/stator cover off. There was a bit of sepige. I faced it off to make sure it wasn't deformed as it had been hit. It can also seap from where the wires go in. Cleaned it all up, get a new gasket from Cradley's and she's sweet.
However she is still leaking from somewhere else on that side (sprocket or gear selector), I'm having trouble with it. If its not your stator cover can you let me know.