warm up?

Moderator: Moderators

Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

warm up?

Post by Rasta-ninja »

Im at the stage of dropping the engine out in the rebuild. I remember last time i changed oil and filter the manual said you had to warm the engine up before hand. My bike isn't running so i cant do that, is it a necessity to warm the engine up if im draining the oil? I figure the only reason behind warming it up is to heat the filter up so it expands and is therefore easier to take off....? cheers!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: warm up?

Post by cargo »

expand the oil filter ?????????????????????

just drain it..............like if it's a non runner and you need the oil out WTF are you going to do to warm it stick in an oven ???
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

maybe...haha, i guessed as much but i wanted to double check!!! no point making it worse right ;) spose thats not too hard right now lol
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

The reason to warm the engine it to make the oil thinner, therefore more should drain out and your new lot wont get too contaminated with old oil.

If its not been running for a while, chances are most of the oil has run into the sump, so no need to warm it at all I wouldnt have thought.
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

makes sense, drained it all and the oil is black =S its got black flakey bits in it as well. Is that an indication to what may be the issue?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Nothing wrong with it being black as such oil does go that colour but will depend how long its been in there.

Not sure what the black flaky bits are look that up id say.