oil change

Moderator: Moderators

TheG
My Bike: currently cbr125

oil change

Post by TheG »

My bike had been sat around for a long time before i bought it, it was claimed to have had a full service but i dont belive the motorcycle dealer as the oil has now got white bits in the oil (condensation i think) so i want to change the oil and filter

first thing is which oil is best ? can get the silkolene oil and kawasaki filter for £31.99 or do i go for the castrol oil and k&n filter as this is a high reving engine ?

just looked in the manual to be completely confused, iv done home servicing with my 125 but this it totally different oil pump filters, oil pans ? i thought it was the case of drop the old oil out change the filter and refill with new oil ?

thanks
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: oil change

Post by cargo »

TheG wrote: i thought it was the case of drop the old oil out change the filter and refill with new oil ?

thanks

it is
TheG

Post by TheG »

good :)

whats all this oil pan thing about ? and does the fairing have to come of to remove the oil filter as i dont want to damage it ?

also is it possible to cut down the standard numberplate holder so it all looks tidy ?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

deep intake of breath........................

The oil pan or sump is it is more commonly known is the lowest point of the engine where oil ultimately returns to after being pumped around the engine this is where the oil pick up for the oil pump is located................also when the engine is off it is the place where oil will settle to.

Little magic pixies will remove the oil filter for you if you run naked round your local park 3 times chanting " I love my ZXR"

Or you could try some Harry Potter like magic and have the filter transported through the fairing panel same trick will fit the new one too

Or you could go and look at the job and figure it out for your self instead of asking a stupid question

It is possible to cut anything
Whether this can be done to produce a tidy result is entirely debatable
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

Cargo I didnt realise you had so much patience lol
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

400y wrote:Cargo I didnt realise you had so much patience lol

Yes your right I did very well with that one

It wont last
TheG

Post by TheG »

cargo wrote:deep intake of breath........................

The oil pan or sump is it is more commonly known is the lowest point of the engine where oil ultimately returns to after being pumped around the engine this is where the oil pick up for the oil pump is located................also when the engine is off it is the place where oil will settle to.

Little magic pixies will remove the oil filter for you if you run naked round your local park 3 times chanting " I love my ZXR"

Or you could try some Harry Potter like magic and have the filter transported through the fairing panel same trick will fit the new one too

Or you could go and look at the job and figure it out for your self instead of asking a stupid question

It is possible to cut anything
Whether this can be done to produce a tidy result is entirely debatable
dont know why you bother replying to be honest absolutly no point
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I've explained what an oil pan is

I've told you yes you can cut but the result may or may not be considered tidy

and I've had a little fun in an effort to have you figure something out for yourself that is so easy a blind monkey on acid could do it

What more could you possibly want ?

Maybe i should come do the job for you ?

Would you like photos ?

or a link to the manual ?

or a step by step guide ?

the way to learn is to get stuck in a just do it.................................not by asking stupid easy to answer for yourself questions
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

patience now expired
mxj560
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Post by mxj560 »

Cargo, not being funny here but there is no need to be like that!

We have all started out somewhere and may not have the level of knowledge that you do, that doesn't warrant them/us being mocked. I, like many, joined this forum to learn about my bike and how to maintain/improve it.

I am sure that, to the OP, their bike is their pride and joy, and as such, do not want to do something that will damage it. On this basis, they did the right thing and asked before they got stuck in. What is the point of an OC forum if the members can't be arsed to helpfully answer questions, even when they may seem trivial or stupid!

In answer to the OP.

Yes, you do have to remove some of the fairings to change the oil and filter, but this can be done without causing damage and is a very good opportunity to check the fastening bolts to make sure they are all ok. You only need to remove the 2 side fairings so that you can access the engine etc.

In terms of tidying the tail, this is not something I have considered but I am sure someone else will have done who can report back (hopefully in a constructive manner) on how to do it.

Hope that helps mate
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

Yep remove two side panels to get to drain plug and filter. Undo the drain plug first. I waited till most of the oil had come out until I removed the filter, more oil will then come out of the drain plug. Some oil will get on the downpipes so wipe what you can off, the rest will burn off from the heat when you start it. I put 3 litres in and let in run for a couple of minutes at idle (don't rev it). Then topped up after I let oil drain back into the pan. I also used this btw: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270825109075 Silkolene is good oil. HTH :smt002
TheG

Post by TheG »

Hi thanks guys went for some castrol oil in the end but havent changed it yet, i have also ordered new spark plugs as im having starting problems, my bike was sat for a long time and during this time it started on the button evrey time but since taking it out it takes a bit to start, it also seems my idle is a mess where ever i set it the next time i start it its to high or too low, someone suggested this could be a airleak ?

thanks
TheG

Post by TheG »

also my airfilter is probably due a change so looking on ebay for new ones

genuine one is £32.99

quality replica is £14

anone used the replica ones or do i need a genuine one ?