Stripped oil drain thread?

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Stripped oil drain thread?

Post by banner001 »

ok so like a fucking retard my brain could not decide to go clockwise or anti-clockwise with my oil drain bolt last night...so i went the wrong way (anti clockwise) for about half a turn (with a breaker bar if this makes a difference), then brain kicked into gear and i drained the oil fine by turning it clockwise.

refilled it fine, but i noticed that the bolt went in, tightened then let go slightly, it appears to keep doing this tightening then loosening...so i think i have either knackered the drain plug, or the drain plug thread.

ill buy a new drain plug and washer tomorrow, but whats my options if i have stupidly done the latter? i will try to get under the bike to make sure that i have not cracked any metal around the sump plug, if i have just messed up the threads a little can i use a slightly oversised plug? or would PTFE tape/sealant be the best option.

its only a small leak, maybe 5-10ml a day...but its not something i can ignore really.

cheers

as to why i went the wrong way, i thought that it had seized up, so when i couldnt turn it normally i used the breaker bar, thats when i realised i was going the wrong way...and please dont give me any "if you cant do a simple job" bullshit...not really in the mood, and saying stuff like that is unlikely to reverse time to the point just before i made my mistake...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Stripped oil drain thread?

Post by Mori Man »

Err, don't take the risk of botching up the sump plug - trust me you don't want hot oil dumping on your rear tyre at over 100mph and that was from just re-using the crush washer shocking

A botch to get you home is to drill a hole through the bolt and shove a toggle bolt through then get it repaired.

No two ways about it - sump off time , then decide on timesert/helicoil , machine shop for pillar drill and cut a new thread to a bigger size or new/used sump pan.

Another botch I have seen was for the hole to be welded up ( they must have owned a welder ) and I assumed they drained the oil from the cooler lines :smt017

Your neck, look after it.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

ill buy a new plug and washer today and see if thats the problem, will redrain oil over weekend and fit new plug, see if its any tighter, i might have just mashed the drain plug slightly, not the thread it locks into.

its not in any danger of falling out, its still fairly solid, i mean, i cant turn it by hand and even with the spanner its fairly well in there, so i dont reckon it will work its way out any time soon so i have no hesitation riding it for the moment, but ill sort it by the weekend.

whats your opinion of some gasket sealant applied to the threads, or superglue/semi-locking compound etc...? and is that gonna cause me more hastle in the long run, or will the locking compound still break ok and not damage anything when it comes to a new oil change?
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Bolt is Steel , thread is aluminium alloy - gues which one fails first ?

Most likely you have some original thread left but can't get the bolt to torque - Alloy heats quicker than Steel so opens up faster - crush washer is alloy for a reason.

As I said before - your neck.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

so that a no then :D
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by richr »

if you went anti clockwise that is correct

if you remember this saying you should allways be safe left for loosey right for tighty :smt003

not much help now but may help someone in the future

sounds like a sump off jobbie there
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Sealant / glue won't make any difference, it won't make a seal as the traces of oil in the threads will stop it. You will always get some running out of the sump before it seals so it's a non-starter. As said, the sump has to come off to be repaired. It could easily fail while you're moving and dump a load on the tyre, no matter how secure you think it is. I wouldn't ride it like that.

It's an easy job to take the sump off, I don't think the engine even needs to come out. It just unbolts then you need a new gasket when you replace. You need to find a workshop who will put some weld on the mullered hole for you then retap it. Can't imagine they'll charge you much for such a piddling job, have a ring round.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

sump comes off easy with engine still in frame......................
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

ok ill get it looked at soon...however, the 2" of snow is preventing me from moving at the moment :D