White oil

Moderator: Moderators

Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

White oil

Post by Daniel.p »

Right about 2 weeks ago I crashed my Zx into the back of a car and the bike went vertical I took her out for a spin today and the oil appears to be White what else can cause this apart from the head gasket? Thanks guys
Ride it like you stole it
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: White oil

Post by cargo »

if your oil has gone white and milky then its more than likely coolant in there.

coolant can get into the oil anywhere where there is an interface betwen coolant and a oil cavity
head gasket, water pump or maybe via damage internally like cylinder liner or cylinder head
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

where have you checked the oil is white? cos if its from the window then more than likely condensation especially this time of year.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Post by Daniel.p »

Yeh I checked the window what I'm doing is draining it asap and putting fresh oil in and just keeping checks on the coolant in hoping it's just something silly! Thanks for the help guys also I did drain a little bit of oil out and it was black buy water floats in oil doesn't it
Ride it like you stole it
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

No water does NOT float on oil.

If water is getting into your oil it goes milky or emulisfies...................however it is perfectly normal for a small amount or water to be present in your oil. Water is a byproduct of the cumbustion process in your engine and some will get into your oil. As your engine is hot this water will be present as a vapour and when your engine is off and it cools the water will condense...........and can be seen in the oil level sight glass or inside the top of the oil filler cap.
This problem will be worse in damp cold weather.
So long as your oil is oily and looks like oil then you should be fine.................take it out for a damn good thrashing.
minimickzxr
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 H1

Post by minimickzxr »

i have had the same problem... the only real way to check that its not the head gasket is if you remove the spark plugs from the head and put in a compressor, this will basically check the pressure. put it in each of the spark plug holes (only take out one spark plug at a time) and find if the pressure drops. if the pressure drops your going to need to replace the head gasket before the bike blows... also another great way to find out is...
1) if the bike is a bitch to start on a cold morning.
2) you cant get her to go past about 70 - 80mph.