a right head scratcher!!

Moderator: Moderators

mikey_m
My Bike: zxr 400 H1

a right head scratcher!!

Post by mikey_m »

hi all...

Right ive just filled my bike up with 3 litres of oil. the oil level is about 3 1/4 up the little glass window, but i noticed my oil light is still on!!!! :smt013

Now sometimes when i go to start the bike, the starter button doesnt work. all electrics are fine! But then when i start moving around on the bike, put it in first gear and hold clutch in ect. . . the button works. There is no loose connections anywhere. when the button doesnt work, theres a little click sound coming from under the seat? all fuses are fine. I thought i might of filled the oil up too much and its triggering an oil switch? as this is known on some bikes. But there is just the right amount according to that little window.

oh, and when the bike is running, the oil light turns off. Very strange!

Anyone else suffered from this?
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: a right head scratcher!!

Post by bendog66 »

the oil light should be on when the engine isn't running
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

and off when it is..

starting issues sound like a dodgy connection somewhere.. check/clean the battery terminals and connections to the switch gear and starter relay.
Last edited by zimm on Thu May 20, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey_m

Post by mikey_m »

right ok that makes things a bit easier.

So why should the oil light be on when the engine is off? Sorry if i sound so thick. . . but im just curious :P
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

the oil light comes on at dangerously low pressures of oil. When the engine is off but the ignition on there is no oil pressure, hence the light is on
These things are sent to try us!!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

And the reason that the oil light is on at low oil pressures is so that you know the oil presure is low.

The light comes on and stays on when the engine is NOT running so that you know the bulb is OK

I think it is fair to say that the oil light does NOT nesscessarly give an indication that the oil LEVEL is low just that the oil PRESSURE is low

Of course if the oil level was low enough then pressure would also be low................but if you waited untill then you've probably damaged the engine already.

Easy really

And oil pressure and level have no effect on the starting circuit................the neutral switch however does
mikey_m

Post by mikey_m »

Thanks for all that info... was very good.

Could you explain abit more about the neutral switch then? As i looked for any loose connections and all are ok. It just chooses when it wants to start on the button.

Thanks again, michael.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by parby81 »

neutral switch and sidestand switch operate starter cut outs.
So if in gear the bike will not start if the clutch is engaged, otherwise the bike will shoot forward. Hence when you stick it in gear and pull the clutch in, the bike says okay im in 1st but the clutch is in so i can start. When you have it in neutral and the clutch out, the bike is misreading and probably thinking its in gear because your neutral switch is either loose connection or knackered or covered in crap.

Check the connection on the neutral switch, give it a good clean etc etc
mikey_m

Post by mikey_m »

if you mean the neutral light? thats on when im in neutral. Where abouts would i be able to find this neutral switch?

Cheers
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by parby81 »

without going out and checking, but i believe it is on the left hand side of the engine down near the front sprocket. The Light green wire going into your fuse box is the wire that goes to the neutral switch. At some point it splits and goes to the neutral light as well. It could also be a break in this wire that is causing the problem. this woould allow the neutral light to remain on, but isn't actually connecting to the starter circuits in the fusebox. Get a multi meter out and do some continuity tests and have a good clean up of the wires around the front sprocket area. Light Green is the colour!!