Balance Pipes or Not?

Moderator: Moderators

Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Balance Pipes or Not?

Post by Tirpitz »

Right, here's a job for you all. Following on from another thread which suggested that H models have balance pipes on the headers between cylinders 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 but L models do not I looked at the fiches for the two models on this site. These suggest that the above is correct, and they are different part numbers. However, I have an L4 which I have owned from new and it has balance pipes. Now before someone suggests that the factory fitted a H system to the bike I have replaced the end can with one from A16 Road & Race Supplies. You must tell them when ordering whether you have a H or L model as the bolt configuration on the link pipe flange is different between the two models. Naturally I told them I have an L model and got an L model can - and it fits! So no, I don't have a H exhaust on the bike it would seem that at some stage in the L model run Kwak reverted to balance pipes. It would be useful for the record to know when Kwak decided to reinstate the balance pipes and how many models of L they ran for. So if you have an L see whether you have balance pipes and tell us also what model L you have.

Doesn't surprise me totally as the fiche for the L model also shows the wrong dust seal for the rear brake caliper for models L4 onwards. Some changes were obviously made which don't seem to have made their way into official fiches and manuals. It would be handy for us as an owners group to know what these are so that we can order the right bits and be aware of differences.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
tobomoto
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400l4 zx7r

Re: Balance Pipes or Not?

Post by tobomoto »

i know its not related but when i had my engine worked on the bloke said the timing chain settings in the workshop manual was out. not sure by how much ect but when i said 'great! ill claim a new engine from kwak!' i was told a trained mechanic would of spotted it. just thought id mention it. im going for a 'lemonade' now...
anything is possible with enough time and money. and an open mind...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Is it definitely a balancing pipe and not some sort of brace?
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

I've got beet headers on mine - no balancer pipes, that said I don't understand the function of the balancer pipes either - don't say the balance the exhaust coz that doesn't help :pmsl
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

BigB wrote:I've got beet headers on mine - no balancer pipes, that said I don't understand the function of the balancer pipes either - don't say the balance the exhaust coz that doesn't help :pmsl
if i was to hazard a guess, i would say that they help to move the pulses of exhaust gas along by balancing some pressure diferencials in the exhaust. as the exhaust gas leaves the exhaust it creates a small vacuum, that vacuum can be used to help pul the next burst of gas from the next cylinder...i would guess that the balancer pipes assist in this to some degree?

especially as balancer pipes go 1-4 and 2-3 and firing is 1-2-4-3...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

RedexRobB wrote:Is it definitely a balancing pipe and not some sort of brace?
Yes, definitely.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock