Straight pipe risks

Moderator: Moderators

Cimanu
My Bike: Honda RVF400

Straight pipe risks

Post by Cimanu »

Hello all,

Currently I run stainless downpipes and a pipewerx slip on.

Now my plan is to have a piece of stainless pipe fabricated to the same length as the can I use and simply clamp that on when I fancy some noisy fun.

My first thought was to just take the can off, and it might still be the way to go. I'm just curious about engine damage. So many people on youtube (not really the most trustworthy source) state.. in some form or another, that running no end can can damage the bike, burn out valves etc. I'm sure some of you will be far more knowledgable on this subject.

I know the straight pipe.. in whichever form it will take will reduce power over the pipewerx can, but that's no concern as this will be an occasional thing. Something to use late at night or early morning :) I go by louder the better.

My car currently has a Y peice of pipe with a butterfly valve, one leads to a stock exhaust system down one side, the other leads to straight 2.5" piping. Perfect for mass noise and then nice peaceful no noise for coppers or long trips.

This will be the same sort of thing but not as convenient.

But I digress, just wondered which would be better and kinder to the bike, and if either will damage my bike.

Look forward to learning! :D
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Straight pipe risks

Post by cargo »

I doubt your nosy pipe would do too much harm to your engine if you only played with it now and then.
However if you or your nosy pipes ever turn up near my front door early in the morning or late at night it will be YOU that suffers serious harm. I have a special bit of pipe that would be fitted to your exhaust sideways on.
Cimanu
My Bike: Honda RVF400

Post by Cimanu »

Ahaha, there is that yes,

I know many of you will scowl at this and shout at me for giving bikers a bad rep but I'm just looking for info really, i'm aware this makes me a yob.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Cimanu wrote:Ahaha, there is that yes,

I know many of you will scowl at this and shout at me for giving bikers a bad rep but I'm just looking for info really, i'm aware this makes me a yob.
Yep, and I don't like being woken up when I'm on early shift by other people's 'fun', so personally I hope it totals your engine. :rant
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Running straight through makes it leaner so no end can leans it way out !

Alright for a 40sec youtube but not for any form of actual riding :smt018

Shove in bigger mains and you should be OK for a while, if your car is FI it will compensate for this otherwise your burning out valves on it too all for noise - carry a trumpet with you if you really want to make a din :smt005

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds like ill have to keep a listen out for you, probably hear you all the way over here in Ipswich from Bury!