Sandybikespares Downpipes

Moderator: Moderators

parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Sandybikespares Downpipes

Post by parby81 »

Any one used these? Brother in law got some and they look really nice, not the best fit for the headers at first but we managed it and there is no blowing. The pipes have no crossover pipes between cylinders and the bike seems to start better with these new ones on - the holes in the old ones might have had something to do with that tho.

However, at the silencer end of things they have tried to be clever and left a plain tubular end and supplied a bracket with clamp for the three stud pattern. this way if you have a slip on silencer it can go straight on and if you wish to use a 3 bolt one as fitted originally you can use this adaptor. The adaptor goes on nicely though they do not supply a new gasket for this adaptor to the silencer (header gaskets are included). But the clamped bit cannot seal the pipe and there is a little bit of exhaust blowing coming from it. Should we be trying to use some exhaust sealant before we clamp it for a gas tight seal?

I think we might try and weld the adaptor on so that it is gas tight ad do away with the clamp altogether. Anyones thoughts?
These things are sent to try us!!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Sandybikespares Downpipes

Post by RedexRobB »

welding it makes it very permanent. Using some exhaust seal doesnt. Personally id go for some VHT silicone sealant which is what ive used to stop my downpipes blowing at the collector.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

you have a point there rob, maybe i'll go shopping for him
These things are sent to try us!!
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

I used them before ages ago but they used to get Delkevic exhaust but now they make their own I do believe. The fitment is standard (correct if if I'm wrong) as the standard end can has three studs which fits through.

I used a slip on for racing and just put a bit of gasket sealant to stop it from blowing worked a treat. Wish I went back to them as my new exhaust I got from Delkevic on warranty the standard end can does not fit any more just seems to that tiny bit out pain in the butt!!! :smt013

Ciaran #65
jonny
My Bike: zxr400 L2

Post by jonny »

Hi,
I have just purchased some new downpipes through sandybikespares. Ordered them yesterday and they arrived today. So far so good. Will be trying to fit them over the weekend. Fingers crossed I still rate them once they are on.
This is probably the biggest job I have done on the bike and was wondering if anyone has any tips?
I have just been sizing the job up and heres my plan
> Drain and remove radiator (as far as I can tell its two bolts at the top, and bottom, then one connecting it too the oil rad).
I have read a few threads on here with people saying they have done it with the rad on. Does anybody know if it is worth removing the rad or should I just leave it on/lower it and accept my knuckles will get crushed.
> Remove end can, Assume it will be easier with pipes still attached.
> Remove old downpipes.
> New pipes on. Cooper grease on studs and will the gaskets need some kind of sealant on them?
> End can back on.
> Rad back on.
> Finally, fresh coolant back in.
Just wondering if I have missed anything and if anyone can add anything that may help.
Many thanks
Jonny
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

You can do it with the rad still on bit of a pig but is possible. Saves draining the rad unless your going to do that anyway.
No sealant on the gaskets, the round copper ones should be fine.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Yer decided the rad is coming off. Might even give it a clean while i have the chance. Thanks for the advice!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

The nuts holding the pipes to the head will allmost certainly be coroded and hard to remove................so a good soaking with some penatrating oil or WD40 type stuff would be a good idea.

New nuts might also be handy to have

The studs might come out of the head too if the nut is stuck..........new studs might be needed
jonny

Post by jonny »

Job done!!! Went a lot better than expected. Didn't completely remove the rad in the end, just lowered it which seem to give me enough room to get old pipes out and new ones in. No problems with studs however i think this was because i soaked them in lubricant the night before and also an hour before giving them a try.
The only problems i had are the same as the person who started this thread. Getting the new pipes in was very tricky as they are such a tight fit, probably would have been a lot easier with an extra pair of hands. Once the pipes were in I also had trouble with the adapter provided for the end can. Tightened it as much as i dared however it is still blowing slightly. As already stated it would be a lot better if they provided a new gasket for the adapter. Going to put some sealant around the adapter which im sure will cure the problem. All in all am very pleased with the shiny new downpipes! Thanks again for the advice!!