dymag wheels

Moderator: Moderators

ian rycroft
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

dymag wheels

Post by ian rycroft »

can i carefully sand blast and repaint my dymag wheels in 2K paint ,i have heard you have to send them back to dymag for them to do,but know of riders that have done them themself or is it a :smt018
tk400
My Bike: ZXR400 , ZXR950

Re: dymag wheels

Post by tk400 »

You can do them yourself, But as they are magnesium you need to use zinc di-chromate primer first. Also I my personaly have hesitated to use sandblasting as the dust of the magnesium is explosive. I used paint stripper to get down to the primer and then wet sanded to the chromate coating. They actually use a chromate electroplating for the first layer I think. Then they use a di-chromate primer. I would not use powdercoating as the coating will hide any cracks and will then prevent you from inspecting the magnesium for cracks. I used a coating designed for wheels as a top coat (bronze in colour) but am not happy with it as it is to soft. I was thinking of maybe using a ceramic high temp paint and baking it on ( maybe) or 2 pack but 2 back will make crack visibility equally difficult. thats just my 2 cents worth, I will be interested to see what you choose and others recomend.

PS chromate paints are hard to get in Oz as they are not legal. I got some from an ebay aviation seller.

Regards TK400
ian rycroft
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

Re: dymag wheels

Post by ian rycroft »

tk400 wrote:You can do them yourself, But as they are magnesium you need to use zinc di-chromate primer first. Also I my personaly have hesitated to use sandblasting as the dust of the magnesium is explosive. I used paint stripper to get down to the primer and then wet sanded to the chromate coating. They actually use a chromate electroplating for the first layer I think. Then they use a di-chromate primer. I would not use powdercoating as the coating will hide any cracks and will then prevent you from inspecting the magnesium for cracks. I used a coating designed for wheels as a top coat (bronze in colour) but am not happy with it as it is to soft. I was thinking of maybe using a ceramic high temp paint and baking it on ( maybe) or 2 pack but 2 back will make crack visibility equally difficult. thats just my 2 cents worth, I will be interested to see what you choose and others recomend.

PS chromate paints are hard to get in Oz as they are not legal. I got some from an ebay aviation seller.

Regards TK400
Thanks for the reply,not heard of that primer,is it the same as etch primer? i will use a paint stripper (nitromorse) as i spray my own bikes i will use 2pack paint,i am going to stick to the gun metal colour,once i have it striped i will get them x-rayed just to make sure there are no cracks,thanks,ian