Different rear ends?

Moderator: Moderators

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Re: Different rear ends?

Post by lewisdale »

would the bike still be legal and pass a mot though with the subframe like that? i know in youre case it dnt matter, but for everyone else?
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Post by saka_ZXR »

lewisdale wrote:would the bike still be legal and pass a mot though with the subframe like that? i know in youre case it dnt matter, but for everyone else?
Aslong as the subframe is stable enough im sure it would.

Looking forward to the job of hacking at my subframe to make the rear end fit tbh :p
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
mike zxr hotchin
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by mike zxr hotchin »

i like the rear break conversion on that picture how was it done?
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

So anyone fancy knocking me up a step by step guide on how to make a CBr600rr rear end fit on a zxr400 subframe?

I hate to sound like a leech but i really wudnt know what to do.
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

THE FLUTE wrote: Image
I take it you're using some sort of Gel battery? Could you let me know what make/where you got it from - I've come to a similar conclusion with mine that I need a battery I can put in sideways.

Ta.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
THE FLUTE

Post by THE FLUTE »

deviant wrote:
THE FLUTE wrote: Image
I take it you're using some sort of Gel battery? Could you let me know what make/where you got it from - I've come to a similar conclusion with mine that I need a battery I can put in sideways.

Ta.
Yes Mate it is a Gel battery Its a dynavolt one But you don't need a gel battery Just happened that my mate got it me cheap. A standard Bike battery will work fine on its side My old R1 had its battery on its side as standard.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Whats that yellow tube and cylinder for Deviant?
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

Just a quick question, how hard wud it be to fit an 99/00 R1 rear end to a zxr400L3 subframe? A mate of mine is selling one but needs to know if I want it asap, i originally wanted an 07/08 CBr600rr rear end on it but i think the R1 tail wud look miles better on the zxr I can always buy it now and figure out how to fit it later
THE FLUTE

Post by THE FLUTE »

RedexRobB wrote:Whats that yellow tube and cylinder for Deviant?
Thats the nitrous :excited No it just for the crankcase breather to vent in to.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by deviant »

I'd go with what the guy who owns the bike said.

mine looks like this ATM...

In the garage:
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
THE FLUTE

Post by THE FLUTE »

deviant wrote:
I'd go with what the guy who owns the bike said.

mine looks like this ATM...

Looks neat work that mate Is it steel rather than alloy?? :smt017
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by deviant »

Yes, it's steel.

Main reason is that it's a lot cheaper and I can weld it at home with my MIG set rather than having to pay someone to TIG it (or find the cash for a TIG set).

Given that I can use thinner wall tube in steel (1.5mm as opposed to the ally original which is at least 2mm) and it's a much simpler structure than the original (hence less tube), I don't think there's likely to be any weight penalty. I'll weigh them both when I'm done anyway.

Steel has a much more progressive failure mode than ally as well. Which is nice when it's me sat on top of it.
saka_ZXR wrote:Just a quick question, how hard wud it be to fit an 99/00 R1 rear end to a zxr400L3 subframe? A mate of mine is selling one but needs to know if I want it asap, i originally wanted an 07/08 CBr600rr rear end on it but i think the R1 tail wud look miles better on the zxr I can always buy it now and figure out how to fit it later
Simplest way is to do this and then offer it up to the bike and see what you need to change. It won't fit as stock, guaranteed, but you might find you can get away with just bending a couple of the tubes (although I'd prob only try this if it's a steel subframe) or cutting and welding them.

If it looks like it's too far from fitting, you can always sell it on.

Oh, and (grown-up head on), if you are going down the dual-seat approach, remember that it will be subjected to much, much greater loads than a short, single seat subframe (weight of an extra person, plus that weight is located further from the mounting points), and that you are responsible for the safety of whoever you choose to sit on the back. So make sure either you are able to ensure it is adequate, or you go to someone who can for help. Lecture over. oldman
In the garage:
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

Well as im sure most of u can relate whilst the thoughts of what I want to do to mod the bike and ive decided to keep the bike stock on terms of seats n that just gonna bling it up with sum nice carbon bits n that :D
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Here's some shots of my bike with a GP style tail from Catalyst Racing Composites. http://www.flickr.com/photos/26356568@N ... 3149998436