Removing the main side fairing

Moderator: Moderators

jimsym
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Removing the main side fairing

Post by jimsym »

Ill be removing the main side fairing in a couple of days and just wanted to run a few things by you guys, incase I get ahead of myself and make a mess.

Are there any 'popper' clips that the fairing attaches to the frame with? The rear fairing panels have these but are not mentioned in the users manual which made the first time removal quite stressful after I had removed all the screws!

Do any screws on the side of the nose fairing need removal?

Also, what is the function of the (slightly fragile looking) black plastic cover that runs between these two fairing panels? Is it necessary to remove this?

Lastly, are there any common mistakes worth knowing about?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Removing the main side fairing

Post by ross46 »

There's 5 bolts altogether, 2 small ones that go through the nose cone and into the side fairing, where the side fairing meets the nose cone, then there's 3 larger ones, shouldn't be any poppers but just undo all the bolts and be gentle just Incase, and the small black plastic bits are infill fairings, the one on the right side by the nose cone covers the rad cap but none need to be removed, hope it helps, ross
jimsym
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by jimsym »

Thanks ross, just for clarity's sake, I take it the 5 bolts are the yellow ones shown in the picture below?

I noticed there is a bolt on the very bottom of the fairing, near the front wheel (circled in pink) that seems to join the two lower fairing panels together. Does this not need to be removed also?

I had a look at the workshop manual (albeit for an 'H' model) and it says 'clamp bolt - do not remove' so im abit confused!

CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Yeppers you need to do the pink circled one aswell.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::