High beam - its Gawwwwne !

Moderator: Moderators

rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Re: High beam - its Gawwwwne !

Post by rover220 »

possibily, possibly not. you dont have many options.

i know for a fact on rovers, if the bulb for the battery symbol on the instrument panel has gone then the battery wont charge as the circuit will be broken.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

masterofinsanity wrote: if the high beam indicator light blows does this blow the high beam?
no it don't tried and tested.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

just put new bulbs in and still no main beam..........

if i disconnect the plug to the idiot lights i get a voltage at the main beam connector but as soon as i put a bulb in it disappears so wtf is going on? :smt013
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

so with no bulb you have a voltage yet plug it in and its gone?

baffling me it is mate.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

tell me about it, spent 5 hours on it tonight, i don't particularly want to bodge it and wire straight from the switch to the lights but at this rate don't think i'm gonna have any choice.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

dont go straight from the switch, stick a relay inbetween and itll be fine.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

the original relay is working fine upto the switch but from the switch to the lights there is a problem somewhere?? :smt017
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

relay comes after the switch or should do.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

so your saying i flick the main beam on and that sends power to the relay? which is how i read the wiring diagram, the red/black then generates the coil in the relay with the earth, this then connects the red/green live to the red/white which goes to the ignition switch which when on sends power out through the red/black to the main beam? i'm thinking the ignition switch is knackered? as the red/white doesn't seem to do anything in any position so maybe if i disconnect the red/white from the ignition and wire it direct to the red/black bypassing the ignition switch?

or have i got this totally wrong??? :smt017
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

havent looked at the diagrams but a standard relay has 4 pins.

one is perm live, one is output, one is switched live and one is earth.

can switch the erath side instead and wire the 2 live inputs as perm lives if you want and use the switch to earth.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

have messed about with loads of the wiring and connectors and it seems to be working now, don't know wether it was a bad connection or the relay but fingers crossed when i get all the loom taped back up and the bike back together, cheers for your help rover220!!
andyt109

Post by andyt109 »

i would say its unlikely to be the wiring, its just a case of chasing the feed through the circuit till you lose it, cos between the buisness end of the fuse and the bulb there are a series of contacts and such which can go open circuit. especially if its a common fault between a few bikes.

if the indicator light bulb has blown, it shouldnt make a difference as it is fed parallel.

hope that helps
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i'm pretty sure now mine was a mixture of the headlamp relay and a flat battery, all sorted now tho
Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by Rasta-ninja »

I had a similar issue. My bikes sat for a bit and my dipped beam was fine, hi beam nothing, flash button not working and blue indicator on dash not working. I checked for continuity across the Hi/Low switch (r/bk and bl/y), between the r/bk wire from switch to the light relay, between r/w from light relay to igntion, and r/bk from ignition to bulbs and all ok. Bulbs and fuses all ok as well....

I left the battery on a charger for 2 days and they eventually started working fine. The first time I switched it, high beam didnt work. Then after a couple times flicking the switch between low and high with it sometimes working sometimes not, it eventually worked every time. Like you say guess it was a mix of a battery on the way out and the relay sticking a little because of being sat for a bit...?