sparkplugs...what do u use???

Moderator: Moderators

dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

sparkplugs...what do u use???

Post by dynamatiz »

well its not asking about what psarkies we use , but what we use to get at them lol

i recently out some new splitfires into the zxr all went well till i could not get the socket in the the first one on the left hand side of the bike as it seems tucked away under the frame more than trhe oppspitse side

so i left the old on in hoping it wasnt the one that needed changing , and replaced the rest

so when comin to start the bike up, the bugger is mis firing all over the place, and lead me to beleive it was due too the one a left in or..... ive connected the wrong leads to the sparkplugs ???

so has anyone ever had this problem, and if any one can tell me what the used and where to get it from to get them back out, well that lhs one anyhow

and if it does seem like the leads are connected up wrong can anyone tell me which is the correct way...sorry for the toad dicriptiom but this is the first time av done it lol, we all got too start somewhere eh

many thanks
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Ive got a picture of the top end, ill post a pic up for you later, too busy looking at the moon at the moment :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Here we are! Hope these help :smt003

Not sure what you mean about the frame in the way, should be the same on both sides id have thought, perhaps use the right length extension and it wont come up high enough for the frame to obstruct the wrench?
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

cheers rob for the pics....much appriciate it

now thats what i would have thought about the frame been equal on both sides, but on mine it aint, rhs you cant get your wrench and socket in no problems but the lhs is tucked under the frame a bit more... so a couldnt get the rachet onto the socket so i could loosen it ... grr got me well puzzled !
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

that is very bizzare. Not sure what to suggest really :S if you can get a hez fitting on the top you can use a spanner instead, that should give you more space. Have you got any pictures of it at all?
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

i know mate... thats what left me puzzled... during the week when im on it al take some pics for ya too have a look at

another thing too, is my ht leads where not labbelled up, so this will more than likely have something to do with it... is there any way i can check too see which one goes where ??
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

ummm, only by the pictures ive given you, not sure how you would tell otherwise, one of the racers probably know the answer to that one. When you get them sorted get some numbered labels like ive got, that way you will never loose which one goes where.

In fact ive just realised the left coil operates the two inner cylinders, and the longest lead will operate cylinder number 3 ( cylinders are numbered 1234 left to right) with that being the furthest away, and the shorter one will operate cylinder 2, being closest to the coil. And same with the right coil, which operates the two outer cylinders, so the longest will operate cylinder 1 and shortest cylinder 4.

Another thought, it might well be the previous owner had trouble getting that plug out and never replaced it, so could be a very old plug and causing some of the misfire problems. You did set the gaps on the plugs you changed didnt you?
Ali J
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ali J »

I had a little chuckle when I read this as I skinned my knuckles trying to get the same plug out.

The way I got round it was to undo the plug using the wratchet and extension bar, take the wratchet of the bar and lift the bar out untill you can see the top of the socket.

Get a small screwdriver and push the socket off the bar allowing the pug and socket to drop back down. Then get a piece of wire or simillar and fish the socket and plug out!

Do the same in reverse to get the plug back in and don't be tempted to drop the plug in as you may damage the electrodes at the end.

Hope this helps.
Do we all grow horns when we ride!!
Ali J

Post by Ali J »

Did Rob not suggest Redex??
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

lol, to get out a spark plug? if you manage that make sure you let me know :smt002
Ali J

Post by Ali J »

I was at the point of tipping the bike upside down and shaking the thing out :smt013
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

just an update

ive gettin it sorted out now, the plugs needed gapping, i thought they would be spot on straight out the box(i got told the would be) but obviously not

managed to get number 1 out as well so that was a bonus, but now a have another 2 problems lol, easy sorted tho... i need a new chain and my battery is out of charge after leavin the giraffe lights on lol

cheers too robB for the pics, and everyone else that helped out

many thanks
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

No problem mate, glad yo got it sorted. :smt001

I cant believe someone told you they would be ok out of the box, thats just stupid to assume that they would be the correct size. Not digging at you mate just the pratt that said it.

:smt003
dynamatiz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by dynamatiz »

lol no problem mate... best thing he said was its the same for cars, hence his fooked up ideas lol

they were wierd tho with them been twin pronged, hard to guage , but they done
Little Loris
My Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6

Post by Little Loris »

Do the spark plugs require 16mm socket? Found that I didn't have one deep enough to get mine out and 16mm was the only one that would fit in the hole! May have to make a 'special' purchase if so and need the correct socket size :smt012