clicky noise and rev counter funny

Moderator: Moderators

Leanne_

clicky noise and rev counter funny

Post by Leanne_ »

hey guys,

wondering if you could help me out again, went to go for a ride out on this amazing sunny afternoon after the recent rubbish weather and my bike wouldnt start! when i turn the ignition on theres a clicking sound from the juntion box so tried bump starting it and it will run for 30 s and dies also the rev counter is going up and down like no tomorow,

i really need to get this prob sorted asap as im surposed to be riding out again this weekend so any help would me much appreciated,

thanks
Leanne
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Silly question, you have got petrol havent you? And make sure fuel line isnt kinked or trapped.

Has it been sat for a while? could be gummed carbs.

Id say check the CDI unit too, one of my older bikes (GPX 250) behaved just like you described, revs were all over the place. One minute it wouldnt start, next the revs were sky high.

Post by Guest »

Silly question, you have got petrol havent you? And make sure fuel line isnt kinked or trapped.

Has it been sat for a while? could be gummed carbs.

Id say check the CDI unit too, one of my older bikes (GPX 250) behaved just like you described, revs were all over the place. One minute it wouldnt start, next the revs were sky high.
heya, i definatly have loads of petrol :) and nothing wrong with fuel lines as its definatly not fuel starvation im 100% sure of it, its been sat for two days in the garage so i would suspect its nothing to do with the carbs, theres a definate buzzing from the junction box so i think thats the problem im just not sure exactly how to fix it, when bump started the throttle was held on but only at about 2k revs and it was showing 8k ! and then started jumping about then died just seems really odd, think its electrical problem just how to fix it grrr

thanks for the help

Leanne
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

I know exactly what it is!

See my thread about the 30Amp fuse - that's exactly what happens when that's gone!

Throw the old one away, spray the conections and check them, then put another fuse in and it'll be as good as new. :D

I was starting to wonder if i was the only person in the world who had problems with that fuse... :roll:

If it doe the same again, then check all the wiring in the loom (or as much as you can get to) for spilts or damp or any nastiness. Mine seems to have been fixed by re-doing a tiny piece of insulating tape on a wire which was a bit damp.
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

techie

Post by techie »

This is typically caused by a voltage drop somewhere. Check your battery voltage and make sure it is fully charged and in good condition before ripping anything apart.
Visit my site for info on the ZXR400. Also quick shifter circuit diagram and gearing spreadsheet.
http://wwr.dyndns.org

Post by Guest »

it was the battery, luckily i didnt buy anything else in the mean time, now bought an optimate just in case now,

thanks for the help again,

Leanne