Some Lighting help

Moderator: Moderators

JakeZXR
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L1

Some Lighting help

Post by JakeZXR »

Hey guys
I'm new to bikes and always loved the look of the zxr so decided to buy one... An L1 ZXR400 - a few cracks in the fairing here and there needs quite a bit of sorting but runs, looks cool and passed it's MOT with no advisories 2 weeks ago...
I have a query, being quite new to bikes, I put the key in and twisted to on (without the engine on) and the rear light and dials were lit but not the fronts, I fiddled around with a switch that I saw had lights on but they wouldn't go off... I then applied the breaks which were a tad delayed but still work, the indicators also work (gonna be hard to get used to) but I can't see where to switch off the rear light or switch on the fronts. any help would be greatly appreciated (it also hasn't been used regularly apparently for a while)
P.S chances are I'm missing a switch or doing something wrong

Cheers guys
Jake
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Re: Some Lighting help

Post by Ewetea »

If the bike was MoT'd recently, then the testing station must have been satisfied with the operation of the lights. So - either you have a bike that is wired so that the lights come on as soon as you turn the ignition key, in which case the front should also be illuminated, or the bike is equipped with a switch which may not be functioning properly...but that begs the question "why did it pass the MoT?"
Look at the twistgrip assembly. It will have a kill switch and starter switch. It may also have a lights off/side/headlight facility. If so, switching to off should extinguish all lights. If this facility is not there, then the bike is a model that was built for a country that requires lights at all times, hence the reason they come on immediately you turn the ignition on. Look at the lower section of the headlight and check if there is a small wire to a sidelight. If there isn't, then the headlights should illuminate when the ignition is turned on. There will be a facility on the left hand clip-on for dipped/main beam. You will have to check connections for corrosion and 12v supply. The brake light will illuminate when the electrical circuit is completed by pressing the front or rear brakes sufficiently to activate the micro-switches. If you squeeze the levers slowly, it will activate late, but in normal use they would be depressed rapidly, causing instant illumination. Again - check the condition of the electrical contacts to the switches.