Won't Start- Update+ Generator?

Moderator: Moderators

JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Won't Start- Update+ Generator?

Post by JamieNeve »

As the thread about my Bike not starting got locked due to the debate it started, thought i'd put this here.

Basically, when going on a ride today, my Bike cut out at some traffic lights (also did this last week) and when I tried starting it, my battery was flat due to the starting problem that the other post stated. I had been on a 40 minute ride so my battery should have had at least some charge to start, but the starter motor simply did a struggle turn, then 'click' that they do when they aren't getting enough power.

I take it this means my generator may be bust or battery (but it is 3months old Bosch one), but how do I check? Do I start the bike (i'll obviously charge the battery first) then plug my voltmeter in to the battery end, or does it go in the generator end, am a complete noob with bike electronics so have no clue how to check,

Thanks guys!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Won't Start- Update+ Generator?

Post by CaNsA »

Try another battery, one that is known to be working.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

Think I kept the old one so will chuck that one in whilst this one is charging, If it charges fully, shall I then start investigating the generator?

Also would this issue cause the cutting out at idle, I thought it may as if I keep the revs above 2K it's fine, maybe as it's getting more juice from the generator?

Sorry for the noobiness haha!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

My battery failed a while ago, the charging system was fine but the battery lost any charge it had within 5mins of removing it from the charger.

Just try a new/known to be 100% working battery for a few days and see what happens.

1 step at a time.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

seriously...download the manuals, its all in there.

unplug the generator, set your multimeter to read in AC voltage, start your bike, increase it to 2k rpm and test the voltage between the 3 sets of pins, they should all give you ~45V AC), if they give significantly less or more your generator might be dead, but it could also be the reg/rec, again, you can test this bu plugging everything back in and running the bike at a fast idle and measuring the voltage across the terminals, should be close to 14V.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

Thanks for all the replies, I'm so busy at the moment with Work and College that I haven't been able to dedicate much time to the bike.

I now know it is definitely not the battery, as a known-to-be-good battery is doing the same thing- charging fine off of the bike, but on the bike, not at all. I guess this means two things- either Generator problem (but when running, the is obviously powering itself from somewhere) or a short, preventing the battery from receiving any charge.

Will get the Multimeter out one day this week and see!