Battery Not Staying Charged

Moderator: Moderators

Wilki
My Bike: ZXR 400

Battery Not Staying Charged

Post by Wilki »

Hello,

I have the luck of pushing my bike home because the battery seems to have died even after giving it a 50 miles run (thank god it didn't die on a motorway).

I went and bought a brand new battery today and fitted it hoping it would work but stupidly I didn't test it after I put it in and it died in the same spot so I had to push it home again.

I called the AA and the guy said there is no electricity going back to the battery when the bike is running and he told me that it could be the generator or something.

Could any of you give me your two cents about what you think the problem could be and how I can test if it is them.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Battery Not Staying Charged

Post by CaNsA »

buggered generator or reg/rec.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Wilki

Post by Wilki »

CaNsA wrote:buggered generator or reg/rec.
Where would I purchase a generator or the other parts.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

What does it say under this.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

My betting is the reg/rectifier, there are tests you can do which have been covered on here
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Wilki

Post by Wilki »

masterofinsanity wrote:My betting is the reg/rectifier, there are tests you can do which have been covered on here
Got my bike out and it started charging.......... I think maybe it shorted or something due to the water which got in it.
Wilki

Post by Wilki »

So thinking it shorted because I jet washed my bike I give it a little rinse today and suprise surprise it cut out again. I got home straight away luckily and got a charger and voltmeter on it and after it charged for 5 minutes I started the bike and put my voltmeter on and was getting about 13 volts from just the engine so it is actually charging. This is also from a brand new battery I bought 2 days ago, any ideas?